A 3-semester hour Master’s tutorial (M.A. Math)

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tutorial
In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for the Master of Arts in Mathematics program, specifically the 3-semester hour Master's tutorial. The participant is not familiar with this term and is seeking clarification on what it entails. It is explained that the tutorial is a special topic selected by the student and instructor, and it is a requirement for the non-thesis option in the program. The participant is encouraged to ask their supervisor for more information.
Shackleford
I've emailed the M.A. Math program director about this, but I'm just wondering what exactly this entails - generally speaking of course. Is it like a mini-thesis? Or is it more akin to a research paper? How would I select a topic? Fortunately, I know that my interests are in set theory and analysis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shackleford said:
I've emailed the M.A. Math program director about this, but I'm just wondering what exactly this entails - ...
So am I ... what are you referring to by "this"?
But asking the person who set "this" up is a good start.

Note: if by "this" you mean:
A 3-semester hour Master’s tutorial (M.A. Math)
... then that is not grammatical English. What are you talking about?

Is a "semester hour" like a "man hour"?
Are you asked to attend or give a tutorial?
Is it a tutorial given at masters level or a tutorial at some other level to be completed as part of the requirement for a master's degree?

It sounds like the problem statement is incomplete.
Back up. Start at the beginning.

I assumed the term would be familiar. It's a requirement in the MA program along with 30 hours of coursework.

Of course, it's grammatical English. How are you not familiar with "semester hour"?

Let me see what else I can dig up on the website about "this." There's little to go by.

Ah. I was able to find this.

MATH 6315 - Master’s Tutorial
Credit Hours: 3.0 Prerequisite: consent of instructor. May be taken concurrently.
Open only to those choosing the non-thesis option for the M.S. degree. Special topics selected by student and instructor to be no less demanding than writing a thesis.

Shackleford said:
I assumed the term would be familiar.
That would be a poor asumption then ;)
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Assume
... when someone ask what something you wrote means, it is faster just to tell them.

It's a requirement in the MA program along with 30 hours of coursework.

Of course, it's grammatical English. How are you not familiar with "semester hour"?
... perhaps I live in a different country to you? ;)
But why not just answer the question?

Something like:
https://nz.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070113210108AA5jLCN

That would be "a 3 semester hour..." or "a 3 semester-hour..." rather than "a 3-semester hour"
(But hyphens can be like that...)

Let me see what else I can dig up on the website about "this." There's little to go by.
That's a good source too.
It looks like you are well on the way to answering your own question.

Shackleford said:
Ah. I was able to find this.
... and there you go.
It means whatever you manage to negotiate with your supervisor.
This sort of thing allows more self-motivated students to make a study that is not otherwise covered in the standard syllabus - like a personal interest. The effect is the lessons are somewhat informal, probably just you and your supervisor meeting in an office, hence "tutorial". Different colleges will call it different things, and the details will vary from college to college too.

Bottom line: the only person who can answer this is your supervisor.

1. What is a 3-semester hour Master's tutorial?

A 3-semester hour Master's tutorial is a course that typically lasts for one semester and is worth 3 credit hours. It is designed to provide advanced training and instruction in a specific subject, in this case, mathematics.

2. Who is eligible to enroll in a 3-semester hour Master's tutorial?

Generally, students who have completed the necessary prerequisites and have been accepted into a Master's program in mathematics are eligible to enroll in a 3-semester hour Master's tutorial. Some universities may also require a certain GPA or other qualifications.

3. What can I expect to learn in a 3-semester hour Master's tutorial in math?

The specific content and focus of the tutorial will depend on the university and the instructor. However, typically, students can expect to delve deeper into advanced mathematical concepts and applications, engage in independent research, and develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. How is a 3-semester hour Master's tutorial different from a regular course?

A Master's tutorial is typically more specialized and intensive than a regular course. It may involve more one-on-one interaction with the instructor, independent research projects, and a higher level of academic rigor. The tutorial may also have a smaller class size, allowing for more personalized instruction.

5. Is a 3-semester hour Master's tutorial required for all Master's programs in mathematics?

No, a Master's tutorial is not a requirement for all Master's programs in mathematics. Some programs may offer it as an optional course, while others may not offer it at all. It is best to check with your program or university to see if a tutorial is required or recommended for your specific degree program.