A 300 kg rocket sits on a launch pad. What is the thrust nee

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 2K views
j doe
Messages
37
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


A 300 kg rocket sits on a launch pad. What is the thrust needed to obtain a thrust to weight ratio 3:1?

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution


300.0 kg x 9.817 m/s2 = 2945.1 N

i know this is not the correct answer, but i have no idea where to start. can someone please help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello JD,
what do you think they mean with a thrust to weight ratio ?
 
the amount of acceleration it needs in order to thrust an object with the mass of 300 kg?
 
I do not have much experience with this sort of equation but I believe that the equation for thrust to weight ratio is T/W where T is the force of the thrust and W is the weight of the given body measured in Newtons hope this helps
 
Kaura said:
I do not have much experience with this sort of equation but I believe that the equation for thrust to weight ratio is T/W where T is the force of the thrust and W is the weight of the given body measured in Newtons hope this helps

so based on your equation, would it be 3 / 2945.1 N? that would equal 0.00101864113. what would the units be?
 
j doe said:
so based on your equation, would it be 3 / 2945.1 N? that would equal 0.00101864113. what would the units be?

I think you would have to find the force of thrust so that T/W would be equivalent to 3/1
 
Kaura said:
I think you would have to find the force of thrust so that T/W would be equivalent to 3/1
how do i do that?
 
j doe said:
how do i do that?
Do you know what a ratio is?

Here's an example:

The ratio of centimeters to meters is 100 to 1.

You are asked to find the thrust such that a thrust to weight ratio of 3 to 1 is obtained. You have already determined the weight of the rocket.
 
SteamKing said:
Do you know what a ratio is?

Here's an example:

The ratio of centimeters to meters is 100 to 1.

You are asked to find the thrust such that a thrust to weight ratio of 3 to 1 is obtained. You have already determined the weight of the rocket.
do i multiply 2945.1 by 3? I'm not quite sure how to find the thrust.
 
j doe said:
do i multiply 2945.1 by 3? I'm not quite sure how to find the thrust.
weight = mass × acceleration due to gravity

You calculated the weight of the rocket in Post #1 (2945.1 N)

You want the thrust o this rocket to be 3 times its weight.

Therefore, the thrust = ?
 
SteamKing said:
weight = mass × acceleration due to gravity

You calculated the weight of the rocket in Post #1 (2945.1 N)

You want the thrust o this rocket to be 3 times its weight.

Therefore, the thrust = ?
thrust = 2945.1 N x 3 = 8835.3 N?
 
j doe said:
thrust = 2945.1 N x 3 = 8835.3 N?

I believe that that is correct

If this is the case then excellent job
 
j doe said:
thrust = 2945.1 N x 3 = 8835.3 N?
That looks OK.