A 80 foot tree weighing 4000 pounds will soon fall on my cabin

  • Thread starter Thread starter oldsaltysailor
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fall Tree Weighing
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
oldsaltysailor
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement: I have a 80 foot tree weighing 4000 pounds ready to fall on my cabin. How thick of a cable or a nylon rope a do I need to stop it from hitting the cabin?
Homework Equations: m=f/g

I am 82 years old and can no longer do the math on this real problem I have due to a brain injury.

<< Post edited by a Mentor to remove a solicitation >>

I have several of these trees ready to fall on my cabin back in the woods. What size cable or a 3/4 inch nylon rope do I need. Engineering toolbox.com says a 1/2 inch cable has a minimum breaking strength of 12,200 pounds. Another site says a 3/4 inch nylon rope has a breaking strength of 14,000 pounds but nylon also stretches absorbing some of the force. If I put the cable or rope 40 feet high, half the weight would be on the ground.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Salty.

Unfortunately, for liability reasons, we can't give you advice on how to do this by yourself. You should contact a local tree service to get a quote on removing or bracing those trees. :smile: