1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A<b<c and, f is bounded on [a,b]

1. Jul 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a<b<c and, f is bounded on [a,b] and f is bounded on [b,c] prove that f is bounded on [a,c]

3. The attempt at a solution
    there exist M1≥0 s.t. for all x ε [a,b] |f(x)|≤M1
    there exist M2≥0 s.t. for all x ε [b,c] |f(x)|≤M2

for x ε [a,b] and x ε [b,c]
    Let M>0, and let M>M1 and M>M2
    therefore
    |f(x)|≤M1<M --> |f(x)|<M and |f(x)|≤M2<M --> |f(x)|<M
    ∴ there exist M>0 s.t. |f(x)|<M *
    so f is bounded on [a,c]

is this proof correct? definition says f is bounded on [a,c] if M≥0 s.t. for all x ε [a,c] |f(x)|≤M
    but what I have proven is, f is bounded on [a,c] since M>0 s.t. for all x ε [a,c] |f(x)|<M :uhh:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2013 #2
    Uh...if ##x\in[a,b]## and ##x\in[b,c]##, then ##x=b##. I think you meant ##x\in[a,c]##. :confused:

4. Jul 8, 2013 #3
    Nope, I meant some ##x\inℝ## lies on [a,b] and some ##x\inℝ## lies on [b,c]

5. Jul 8, 2013 #4
    That's not a good way to put it. It's confusing. Try using ##x_1## and ##x_2##.

6. Jul 8, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What you should say is "if [itex]x\in [a, c][/itex] then either [itex]x\in [a, b][/itex] or [itex]x\in [b, c][/itex]". (You shouldn't use "x" to mean two different numbers.)

Also where you say "Let M>0, and let M>M1 and M>M2" it looks as if you were "letting" M be three different numbers. Better would be "Let M> max(M1, M2)". Of course, since M1 and M2 are both positive, it follows that M> 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted