1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A ball being dropped and bouncing back up?

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    After falling from rest at a height of 30m, a 0.50 kg ball rebounds upward, reaching a height of 20m. If the contact between ball and ground lasted 2.0 ms, what a average force was exerted on the ball?

2. Relevant equations
    The kinematic equations?
    I dont really know

3. The attempt at a solution
    Sorry I don't even know where to begin. I don't really understand this section in the book so i dont even know what to do. The answer is supposed to come out to 1.1 x 10^4 upward.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to work out the speed the balls hits the floor and then the speed it starts backup at. Acceleration is just change in speed / time.

Hint - the speed it starts back up is the same as the speed a ball dropped from the second height would reach the floor.
  4. Oct 5, 2008 #3
    Ok so the speed of the ball when it hits the ground first time would need the kinematic equation Vf^2= Vi^2 + 2ad right?

Vf^2= (0)^2 + 2(9.8)(30)
    Vf^2 = 588
    Vf~24.3 m/s ?

Vf^2= 2(9.8)(20)
    Vf^2 = 392
    Vf ~ 19.8 m/s ?

I think thats correct. correct me if I'm wrong please. How do I find the acceleration?
  5. Oct 5, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Acceleration = change in velocity / time
    Whats the total change in velocity (watch the signs!)
  6. Oct 5, 2008 #5

So the acceleration is the change in velocity which would be 19.8 - 24.3/change in time.
    Then put it in the F=ma and solve for F correct? or is there more?
  7. Oct 5, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Correct method - but be careful of the signs.
  8. Oct 5, 2008 #7
    OK thank you very much. I was stuck on this problem for a while.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?