How to Calculate the Bounces of a Bouncy Ball

oobercharge
Homework Statement:
If I were to say M was mass, H was height, and G was gravity, what equation could I plug those variables into to get how high and how many times a ball would bounce after being dropped.
Relevant Equations:
Mass, Gravity, and Height of ball being dropped
For school I'm trying to write some code to calculate the height of how high a ball would bounce given its mass, height, and the gravity of where it was dropped. I know there are more variables to consider, like wind resistance and the surface it was dropped on, but for now I'm trying to keep it simple.
"If I were to say M was mass, H was height, and G was gravity, what equation could I plug those variables into to get how high and how many times a ball would bounce after being dropped."
Sorry if any of this seems unclear, I know almost nothing about physics but I need to figure this out for my computer science class.

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Without additional assumptions the ball will bounce back to its original height indefinitely.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
Look up coefficient of restitution.

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Why not get yourself a bouncy ball, bounce it off the floor with some kind of scale behind it and take a video. You can estimate the maximum height after each bounce and then write the code to describe the motion. It's called data fitting. As a @harusex PF user @haruspex suggested, look up coefficient of restitution.

Last edited:
kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Something else on your mind?
Oooops, just one of them Freudian slips. :blushing:

Suggested for: How to Calculate the Bounces of a Bouncy Ball

Replies
Views
  • Last Post