How to Calculate the Bounces of a Bouncy Ball

  • Thread starter Thread starter oobercharge
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 4K views
oobercharge
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
If I were to say M was mass, H was height, and G was gravity, what equation could I plug those variables into to get how high and how many times a ball would bounce after being dropped.
Relevant Equations
Mass, Gravity, and Height of ball being dropped
For school I'm trying to write some code to calculate the height of how high a ball would bounce given its mass, height, and the gravity of where it was dropped. I know there are more variables to consider, like wind resistance and the surface it was dropped on, but for now I'm trying to keep it simple.
"If I were to say M was mass, H was height, and G was gravity, what equation could I plug those variables into to get how high and how many times a ball would bounce after being dropped."
Sorry if any of this seems unclear, I know almost nothing about physics but I need to figure this out for my computer science class.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not get yourself a bouncy ball, bounce it off the floor with some kind of scale behind it and take a video. You can estimate the maximum height after each bounce and then write the code to describe the motion. It's called data fitting. As a @harusex PF user @haruspex suggested, look up coefficient of restitution.
 
Last edited: