1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A basic question: What does closed form mean?

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    A basic question: What does "closed form" mean?

"The point here is that [itex]\sigma[/itex] algebras are difficult but [tex]\pi[/tex] systems are easy: one can often write down in closed form the general element of a [tex]\pi[/tex] system while the general element event of [itex]\mathbf B \mathbf[/itex] is impossibly complicated" - From the "Diffusions" text by Rogers and Williams.

What does closed form mean?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2010 #2
    Re: A basic question: What does "closed form" mean?

hard to describe... I guess it's a formula that has a finite nmber of symbols. i know for an infinite geometric series,

[itex]a+ ax + ax^2 + ax^3 + ... = \frac{a}{1-x}[/itex]

the right-hand side is a closed form of the left-hand side

4. Jan 20, 2010 #3

disregardthat

Science Advisor

I suppose it depends on the context. If you have a sum of infinite terms, "closed form" would perhaps be an explicit formula of a few terms.

Wiki got something on it:

"In mathematics, an expression is said to be a closed-form expression if, and only if, it can be expressed analytically in terms of a bounded number of certain "well-known" functions. Typically, these well-known functions are defined to be elementary functions; so infinite series, limits, and continued fractions are not permitted.

Similarly, an equation or system of equations is said to have a closed-form solution if, and only if, at least one solution can be expressed as a closed-form expression."

5. Jan 21, 2010 #4

I don't think it is limited to infinite series.

Say you wanted the sum of 5 powers of 9: 9^4 + 9^3 + 9^2 + 9^1 +9^0

Not so hard, but what if there were a hundred terms?

Note that the sum is 111119. Or 888889/89.

But 888889 is 95-1. For n terms, the closed form would be

(9n-1)/8

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook