A belongs to b, b subset c, a not a subset of c

• Thread starter NecroWinter
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding a solution for a∈b, b⊆c, a not ⊆ c. The attempt made by the speaker involves using empty sets A, B, and C, but it presents a logical problem. The speaker is seeking help with understanding the symbols ∈ and ⊆ in the problem.
NecroWinter

Homework Statement

a∈b, b⊆c, a not ⊆ c
(in other words, the last subset symbol should have a line from top to bottom)

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

ive tried a million things, I can't find anything that doesn't break one of the conditions

the most recent attempt is that
A, B and C are all empty sets, but that would imply that a can be an element of B. my logic is that a doesn't contain all the elements of c, because there are no elements of c

every other thing I've tried has c containing all the elements of B, but since B contains all the elements of A, i run into a logical problem.

I tried for a long time on this one, and I really need help

Physics news on Phys.org
This might be an exercise in understanding what ∈ and ⊆ mean, but I'm not sure if you copied the problem correctly. Are you sure that's what it reads?

Consider b= {1, 2, 3}, c= {1, 2, 3, 4}, a= 1.

What does it mean for "A belongs to b"?

"A belongs to b" means that A is an element of the set B. In other words, A is included in the set B.

What is the difference between "b subset c" and "a not a subset of c"?

"b subset c" means that every element in the set B is also an element of the set C. "a not a subset of c" means that there is at least one element in A that is not an element of C.

Can A be a subset of B if A is not an element of B?

No, in order for A to be a subset of B, every element in A must also be an element of B.

Is it possible for A to be a subset of C if A is not a subset of B?

Yes, it is possible. A can be a subset of C without being a subset of B if there are elements in C that are not in B.

What are some examples of sets that satisfy the conditions of "A belongs to b, b subset c, a not a subset of c"?

One example is the set of even numbers (A) belonging to the set of integers (B) which is a subset of the set of real numbers (C). Another example is the set of prime numbers (A) belonging to the set of natural numbers (B) which is a subset of the set of integers (C).