1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A block sliding down an incline

1. Jun 17, 2007 #1
    A block starts from rest at a height of 4.7m on a fixed inclined plane tilted at 30 degrees. The coefficient of friction is 0.28. If the block continues to slide on the ground with the same coefficient of friction, how far will the block slide on the ground until coming to rest?

2. V = V0+ at

3. I found out the speed of the block at the bottom of the ramp, which is equal to 6.887937 m/s. I led Vf = 0, V0 = 6.887937, and a =2.5236 [solved from gsin(delta) - ugcos(delta). Solve for t, and plug this value into the delta x = vot + 1/2 at^2 equation. I am not sure if I'm doing the right thing.

Thank you so much!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

How did you get to that speed at the bottom of the ramp? Show your calculations please.
  4. Jun 18, 2007 #3

Either calculate the force due to friction and hence the deceleration and use [tex] \ \ v^2=u^2+2as[/tex] or use the work energ concept, [tex] \ \ W_{nc}=E_f-E_i [/tex], where W_nc is the work due to friction and [tex]\ \E_f-E_i [/tex] will be same as [tex]K_f-K_i[/tex]
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?