A block sliding down an incline

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the distance a block will slide on the ground after starting from rest at a height of 4.7m on a fixed inclined plane tilted at 30 degrees, with a coefficient of friction of 0.28. The speed of the block at the bottom of the ramp is found to be 6.887937 m/s, using either the equation v^2=u^2+2as or the work energy concept. The calculations and methods used are not entirely certain, and further discussion is needed to determine the correct approach.
Momentum09
A block starts from rest at a height of 4.7m on a fixed inclined plane tilted at 30 degrees. The coefficient of friction is 0.28. If the block continues to slide on the ground with the same coefficient of friction, how far will the block slide on the ground until coming to rest?

2. V = V0+ at

3. I found out the speed of the block at the bottom of the ramp, which is equal to 6.887937 m/s. I led Vf = 0, V0 = 6.887937, and a =2.5236 [solved from gsin(delta) - ugcos(delta). Solve for t, and plug this value into the delta x = vot + 1/2 at^2 equation. I am not sure if I'm doing the right thing.

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get to that speed at the bottom of the ramp? Show your calculations please.

3. I found out the speed of the block at the bottom of the ramp, which is equal to 6.887937 m/s. I led Vf = 0, V0 = 6.887937, and a =2.5236 [solved from gsin(delta) - ugcos(delta). Solve for t, and plug this value into the delta x = vot + 1/2 at^2 equation. I am not sure if I'm doing the right thing.

Thank you so much!

Either calculate the force due to friction and hence the deceleration and use [tex] \ \ v^2=u^2+2as[/tex] or use the work energ concept, [tex] \ \ W_{nc}=E_f-E_i [/tex], where W_nc is the work due to friction and [tex]\ \E_f-E_i [/tex] will be same as [tex]K_f-K_i[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is the force acting on a block sliding down an incline?

The force acting on a block sliding down an incline is the force of gravity pulling the block downwards and the normal force exerted by the incline pushing the block upwards.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the acceleration of the block?

The steeper the incline, the greater the component of the force of gravity pulling the block down the incline. This results in a greater acceleration of the block down the incline.

3. What is the relationship between the mass of the block and its acceleration down the incline?

The relationship between the mass of the block and its acceleration down the incline is inverse. This means that a heavier block will have a smaller acceleration down the incline compared to a lighter block.

4. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of a block sliding down an incline?

The formula for calculating the acceleration of a block sliding down an incline is a = g*sin(theta), where "g" is the acceleration due to gravity and "theta" is the angle of the incline.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect the motion of the block down the incline?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces. A higher coefficient of friction between the block and the incline will result in a slower acceleration of the block down the incline, while a lower coefficient of friction will result in a faster acceleration.