A BS in Math and an AAS in Chemcial EngTech?

• Thread starter gjonestx
  • Start date
In summary, the individual has a BS in applied math and a minor in chemistry, and is currently completing an AAS in Chemical Engineering Technology. They took a two-year break from college for financial reasons and indecision. They are concerned about their qualifications for employment in the field of chemical engineering and have consulted an advisor who directed them to a link indicating that employment is possible with an AAS. They have also completed some courses in chemical engineering and have had two internships in process controls.
gjonestx
I was undecided more than i should have been when i was in college and I am finally graduating with a BS in applied math with a minor in chemisty (May 2011). I will also complete as AAS in Chemical Engineering Technology from HCC, a local community college after 2 courses. I started the program a couple of years ago and have now decided to complete it. I started college in 2002 and for financial reasons and my indecision i was out of school and had to work for 2 years in order save to re-attend.

I guess my question is would i be disqualified for employment and need to return to school to get a BS or MS in chemical engineering to work in the field or would i still be able to compete for a job although i understand i would be at a disadvantage?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to be a chemical engineer, an AA degree + a BS in another field does not equal a bachelors in Chem. E.

Did I misunderstand the question?

I guess that was my question. I was directed by an adviser at the community college to this link: "http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos112.htm"

so i was interested in getting some perspective. It says employment with a decent salary in the field is possible with an AAS. Also one of the majors i changed from during my indecision was chemical engineering so i completed 2.5 years of the program. Basically material energy balances, thermo, material science, unit ops and a fluid dynamics course. I also during my time off to earn money worked 2 internships both in process controls.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between a BS in Math and an AAS in Chemical EngTech?

A BS in Math is a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics, which is a broad field that includes the study of numbers, shapes, and patterns. An AAS in Chemical EngTech is an Associate of Applied Science degree in Chemical Engineering Technology, which focuses on the application of scientific and engineering principles to solve real-world problems in the chemical industry.

2. What career opportunities are available with a BS in Math and an AAS in Chemical EngTech?

With a BS in Math, you can pursue careers in fields such as finance, data analysis, teaching, and research. An AAS in Chemical EngTech can lead to careers in chemical process technology, quality control, and laboratory analysis in industries such as pharmaceuticals, petroleum, and food and beverage production.

3. Can I transfer credits from an AAS in Chemical EngTech to a BS in Math program?

It depends on the specific schools and programs involved. Some universities may accept transfer credits from an AAS program towards a BS degree, while others may not. It is best to check with the schools you are interested in for their transfer credit policies.

4. What skills will I gain from a BS in Math and an AAS in Chemical EngTech?

A BS in Math will provide you with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to think critically and logically. An AAS in Chemical EngTech will give you practical skills in chemical process technology, laboratory techniques, and quality control measures.

5. Is it possible to pursue a higher degree after completing a BS in Math and an AAS in Chemical EngTech?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a higher degree after completing a BS in Math and an AAS in Chemical EngTech. You can choose to continue your education in a related field, such as a Master's degree in Chemical Engineering or a PhD in Mathematics, or you can pursue a graduate degree in a different field, such as business or law. It is important to research the specific requirements and admission processes for the program you are interested in.