1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A BS in Math and an AAS in Chemcial EngTech?

1. Aug 29, 2010 #1
    I was undecided more than i should have been when i was in college and im finally graduating with a BS in applied math with a minor in chemisty (May 2011). I will also complete as AAS in Chemical Engineering Technology from HCC, a local community college after 2 courses. I started the program a couple of years ago and have now decided to complete it. I started college in 2002 and for financial reasons and my indecision i was out of school and had to work for 2 years in order save to re-attend.

I guess my question is would i be disqualified for employment and need to return to school to get a BS or MS in chemical engineering to work in the field or would i still be able to compete for a job although i understand i would be at a disadvantage?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

If you want to be a chemical engineer, an AA degree + a BS in another field does not equal a bachelors in Chem. E.

Did I misunderstand the question?
  4. Aug 30, 2010 #3
    I guess that was my question. I was directed by an adviser at the community college to this link: "http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos112.htm"

so i was interested in getting some perspective. It says employment with a decent salary in the field is possible with an AAS. Also one of the majors i changed from during my indecision was chemical engineering so i completed 2.5 years of the program. Basically material energy balances, thermo, material science, unit ops and a fluid dynamics course. I also during my time off to earn money worked 2 internships both in process controls.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook