Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A BS in Math and an AAS in Chemcial EngTech?

1. Aug 29, 2010 #1
    I was undecided more than i should have been when i was in college and im finally graduating with a BS in applied math with a minor in chemisty (May 2011). I will also complete as AAS in Chemical Engineering Technology from HCC, a local community college after 2 courses. I started the program a couple of years ago and have now decided to complete it. I started college in 2002 and for financial reasons and my indecision i was out of school and had to work for 2 years in order save to re-attend.

I guess my question is would i be disqualified for employment and need to return to school to get a BS or MS in chemical engineering to work in the field or would i still be able to compete for a job although i understand i would be at a disadvantage?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

If you want to be a chemical engineer, an AA degree + a BS in another field does not equal a bachelors in Chem. E.

Did I misunderstand the question?

4. Aug 30, 2010 #3
    I guess that was my question. I was directed by an adviser at the community college to this link: "http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos112.htm"

so i was interested in getting some perspective. It says employment with a decent salary in the field is possible with an AAS. Also one of the majors i changed from during my indecision was chemical engineering so i completed 2.5 years of the program. Basically material energy balances, thermo, material science, unit ops and a fluid dynamics course. I also during my time off to earn money worked 2 internships both in process controls.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook