A capacitor-like system, is this really a cap?

• Thread starter joemok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, when the earthed plate A is moved closer to the positively charged plate B, the potential of B decreases while the electric field strength between the plates remains constant. The capacitance increases, causing the voltage to decrease and no charge flow is needed to maintain equilibrium. It is possible for some charge to flow into A, but it is not necessary for maintaining equilibrium.
joemok

Homework Statement

A is an earthed metal plate while B is a positively charged metal plate parallel to A. The separation between the plates is much less than the length of each plate. If A is moved closer to B, what would happen to the electric potential of B and the electric field strength between the plates?

Homework Equations

I haven't pick the quick capacitor equations as i think there are differences and the equations:
1.E= V/d, are not practical here as both V and d decreases.
2.V = Q/C, i doubt if Q change

At last, I use E= Q/(AK), where K is the permitivity

The Attempt at a Solution

1. As A which is negatively charged moves closer to B, it solely establish a more negative potential at B and the resultant of the potential decreases.

2.On the other hand, the voltage of A should increase as it is closer to B, but as A is earthed, there are some negative charges flow into A to make it 0V, i.e. unchanged.
Applying E = Q/(AK) we know the E field produced by A increases and that of B is constant as charge on B is constant.
i.e. E resultant increases

My teacher told me to treat it like a capacitor and as the capacitor is on a open circuit, there must not be changes on Q, i.e. (Q1-Q2)/2. As a result of V=Q/C decreases and E=Q/(AK) remains unchanged.

Here comes my actual questions:
1. Is there really no charge flow even when one plate is earthed?
2. what is wrong with my approach?

Note:
1.the model answer: V decreases, E constant.
2. My teacher also told me to think in another way, the earthed A plate is just to make the potential reference constant. and we can see both plates isolated, in this case V can be seem as the potential difference of the plates.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i really need help. Please say something about the approaches, is it valid?

Here comes my actual questions:
1. Is there really no charge flow even when one plate is earthed?
2. what is wrong with my approach?

1. The charged plate is isolated and so keeps constant Q. The charge on the grounded plate will exactly match that on the charged plate, as soon as the transient current stops.

2. the subtle thing is that the capacitance increases as the plates are brought together, so the voltage falls - and the field stays constant ( as your teacher as said).

Mentz114 said:
1. The charged plate is isolated and so keeps constant Q. The charge on the grounded plate will exactly match that on the charged plate, as soon as the transient current stops.

Thank you.
But i am still curious about what is wrong with my arguments that negative charge on A will increase. Can you explain to me?

Usually equilibrium states have the least potential energy and I expect that's what happens here.
Because the capacitance increases and the voltage drops, there no need for the charge on A to change to maintain equilibrium.

Mentz114 said:
Usually equilibrium states have the least potential energy and I expect that's what happens here.
Because the capacitance increases and the voltage drops, there no need for the charge on A to change to maintain equilibrium.

Won't B makes A's potential higher than 0v if there are no charge flowing into A?
Even though it is not a complete circuit, is it possible for some charge flowing into A?

1. What is a capacitor-like system?

A capacitor-like system is an electrical component that stores and releases energy in the form of an electric charge. It consists of two conductors, known as plates, separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor-like system work?

When a voltage is applied to the plates, one plate accumulates a positive charge while the other accumulates a negative charge. The dielectric material prevents the charges from flowing between the plates, creating an electric field. This electric field is what stores the energy in the capacitor-like system.

3. Is a capacitor-like system the same as a regular capacitor?

Not necessarily. While capacitors are a type of capacitor-like system, there are other systems that also function as capacitors, such as supercapacitors and battery-like capacitors. These systems may have different designs and materials, but they all store energy in a similar way.

4. What are the common uses of a capacitor-like system?

Capacitor-like systems have a wide range of applications in electronics and other industries. They are commonly used in power supplies, audio systems, electronic circuits, and as energy storage devices in renewable energy systems.

5. Can a capacitor-like system fail or malfunction?

Yes, like any electronic component, a capacitor-like system can fail or malfunction due to various reasons such as overheating, incorrect installation, or excessive voltage. It is important to choose the right type and rating of capacitor-like system for a specific application to prevent failures.