A challenging ODE question: find an integrating factor

In summary, the conversation is about trying to find an integrating factor for the differential equation y' + siny + xcosy + x = 0. The suggested integrating factor is e^x(sec^2(y/2)), but the speaker is unsure how to prove that it is an integrating factor. Another person suggests using the general test for integrating factors and using trigonometric identities for half angles to show that the differential is exact.
AdrianZ
This is the ODE: y' + siny + xcosy + x = 0.
The problem is: Find an integrating factor for the ODE above.

You can see my solution to the ODE here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=543662. from my solution it seems that [tex]e^x(sec^2(y/2))[/tex] must be an integrating factor. but I fail to show that it's an integrating factor.
I guess it must be truly challenging to find an integrating factor for it :(

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that is an integrating factor, recall the general test
u is an integrating factor of N y'+M if

My-Nx=(ux/u)N-(uy/u)M
where subscripts are partial derivatives and for this equation we have
M=sin(y) + x cos(y) + x
N=1
u=exsec2(y/2)=2ex/(1+cos(y))
you will need to use some simple trigonometric identities

Last edited:
lurflurf said:
I think that is an integrating factor, recall the general test
u is an integrating factor of N y'+M if

My-Nx=(ux/u)N-(uy/u)M
where subscripts are partial derivatives and for this equation we have
M=sin(y) + x cos(y) + x
N=1
u=exsec2(y/2)
you will need to use some trigonometric identities for half angles

What he says doesn't make sense to me to be honest. I've solved the ODE, and I'm 99% sure that exsec2(y/2) is an integrating factor. he tells me that I should multiply the integrating factor and show that it turns the ODE into an exact differential because his problem asks me to find an integrating factor for it, not solving the ODE.

Last edited:
Yes if My-Nx=(ux/u)N-(uy/u)M
then the differential is exact this follows from requiring
(uM)y-(uN)x=0
then it is possible to choose a P such that
N=Py/u
M=Px/u
hence
(P)'/u=N y'+M
as desired

Last edited:

I understand the difficulty of finding an integrating factor for a given ODE. It requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques. In this particular case, the ODE is non-linear and contains both trigonometric and exponential terms, making it even more challenging to find an integrating factor.

After reviewing your solution and the discussion on the forum, it seems that you have correctly identified e^x(sec^2(y/2)) as a potential integrating factor. However, you are struggling to prove that it is indeed an integrating factor. I recommend taking a closer look at the properties of integrating factors and how they affect the given ODE. This may help you in your proof.

Additionally, I would suggest consulting with other experts or seeking guidance from a mathematics tutor to further explore this problem. Sometimes, collaborating with others can lead to new insights and approaches.

Overall, finding an integrating factor for a challenging ODE like this requires persistence, patience, and a deep understanding of mathematical concepts. Keep exploring and don't give up, as the solution to this problem may lead to new discoveries and insights in your field of study.

1. What is an integrating factor in the context of ODEs?

An integrating factor is a function that is multiplied to both sides of a differential equation to simplify its solution. It is used to convert a non-exact differential equation into an exact one, making it easier to solve.

2. How do you determine the integrating factor for a given ODE?

The integrating factor can be found using the integrating factor method, which involves multiplying the entire equation by a function and then rearranging the terms to form an exact differential equation. This function is the integrating factor.

3. Can any function be used as an integrating factor?

No, not all functions can be used as integrating factors. The function must meet certain criteria, such as being continuously differentiable and non-zero, in order to be a valid integrating factor for a given ODE.

4. Why is finding an integrating factor important in solving ODEs?

Integrating factors are important because they can simplify the solution process for non-exact differential equations. By converting a non-exact equation into an exact one, we can use standard integration techniques to find the solution.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving ODEs besides using an integrating factor?

Yes, there are other methods for solving ODEs, such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, and the use of Laplace transforms. However, the integrating factor method is particularly useful for solving non-exact differential equations and is commonly used in many applications.