1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A charge +Q is fixed. Another charge +2q and mass M is projected

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A charge +Q is fixed. Another charge +2q and mass M is projected from a distance R from the fixed charge at and angle 30 with the horizontal towards the fixed charge (like a projectile) at a speed of v
    Find the minimum separation between the two charges if the velocity becomes 1/√3 times of the projected velocity at this moment (assume gravity to be absent)

2. Relevant equations

1) F= (k2Qq) / (R^2) where (k=1/4∏ε)

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the gravity is absent, should I use acceleration of the +2q charge instead of gravity (which can be found out from (1) as mass of +2q is M)
    I have tried this method but somewhere I'm getting wrong as I cannot reach the answer
    pls help me as I have been trying this from past 2 days.
    the correct answer is (√3/2)R

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2

lightgrav

Homework Helper

Re: Electostatics

This is worded as an Energy Conservation question, so use V(r) ... but you also need to conserve angular momentum around the fixed charge (M v1 R1 sin 150 = M v2 R2).

4. Oct 10, 2011 #3
    Re: Electostatics

Ok.. so is this the way ?
    M (√3/2)v R1 (1/2) = M (v/2) R2
    therefore , R2 = (√3/2)R1
    (so what is the use of energy conservation?)

and I was thinking about the path of +2q charge. It would be repelled by the +Q charge, so it shouldn't move towards the +Q charge. So how will the path of +2q charge be?? away from it or something else?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook