Three point charges inside a conducting spherical shell

If the point charge parts give us the discontinuity, shouldn't we get two times of what we want?...oh wait a second...no...because we only count one of them. So this is right! I guess...But what is the intuition behind this?2) If we can write the potential like this, why do we need to do the partitioning of the space and solving Laplace's equation twice?In summary, the conversation discusses a question from a midterm exam about finding the potential inside a conducting spherical shell with three point charges inside. Two different methods are proposed, one involving partitioning the space and solving Laplace's equation for two regions, and the other involving writing the potential as a sum
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

There are three point charges inside a conducting spherical shell of radius R. One of them of charge -2q is in the origin and the other two with charge q are in z=d and z=-d. Find the potential inside the sphere!

Homework Equations

##\nabla^2\phi=4\pi \rho##

3. The attempt at a solutioc
The reason I'm asking this is that this was a question in our midterm exam. One of my classmates solved this but the professor thinks he used a wrong method. But my classmate insists that he used the correct method. Today it was the second time they had a heated discussion.Its getting awkward. So I'm trying to help resolve this.

The professor says that the correct method is to divide the space inside the sphere to two regions: r<d and r>d. Now we can use Laplace's equation for two regions: r>d and r<d excluding the origin. For each region we have ##\phi(r,\theta)=\sum_{l=0}^\infty (A_l r^l+\frac{B_l}{r^{l+1}})P_l(\cos\theta)##(should we add ##-\frac{2q}{r}## to it because of the charge at the origin or that comes somehow else?...Oh...I myself got confused because of that discussion!) . So we have four sets of coefficients to determine. The boundary conditions are: 1) The potential is zero on the surface of the shell. 2) The potential is continuous at r=d. 3) The electric field is discontinuous at r=d, ## E_{r>d}|_{r=d}-E_{r<d}|_{r=d}=4\pi\sigma ##, where ## \sigma=\frac{q}{2\pi d^2 \sin\theta}\left[ \delta(\theta)+\delta(\theta-\pi)\right] ##(not sure about the ##d^2## down there!).

My classmate says that he can write the potential as ## \phi=\frac{q}{R_1}+\frac{q}{R_2}-\frac{2q}{R_3}+F(r,\theta)## where the first three terms are the potentials for point particles and F is an unknown function we want to determine. Because we have ## \nabla^2 \phi=4\pi q\left[\delta(R_1)+\delta(R_2)-2\delta(R_3)\right] ##, we know that ## \nabla^2 F=0 ##. So we can say that ##F=\sum_{l=0}^\infty (A_l r^l+\frac{B_l}{r^{l+1}})P_l(\cos\theta) ##.Actually he didn't give this line of reasoning so the professor said you can't do it and so the discussion got hot. Now that it seems to me both of them are acting excited and defensive, I was there to get into their discussion and suggested this line of reasoning to them but the professor said that you can't say ## \nabla^2 F=0 ## on the exact point of sources where there is singularity to which I don't know what to respond, I'm not even sure this is right or wrong. If someone can give a mathematically rigorous reason leading us one way or the other, the problem would be solved because either the above line of reasoning also leads us to partitioning of the space inside the sphere, or the one expansion we wrote is enough and we can fix the coefficients using only the fact that the potential is zero on the sphere(which seems weird to me!). Also my classmates needs to set ## B_l=0 ## but again there is argument on this.

To be honest it seems to me now this is going out of hand and most of the discussion is because of the awkward excitement on both sides so I really need strong reasons to persuade them.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Uh oh, I'm not sure I want to get into the middle of this :nb).

But your classmate's approach looks correct to me. I think ##F(r, \theta)## is just the potential inside the sphere due to induced charges on the inner surface of the sphere. So, ##F## will satisfy Laplace's equation everywhere inside the sphere and satisfies a boundary condition on the inner surface of the sphere such that the total potential at the surface is zero. This allows you to determine the solution for ##F(r, \theta)## everywhere inside the sphere in terms of a Legendre polynomial expansion.

Thus you can find the solution for the total potential inside the sphere in the form ##\phi = q/R_1 + q/R_2 - 2q/R_3 + F(r, \theta)## as your classmate argues. Of course you could expand the first two terms in Legendre series and these series would have different forms depending on whether ##r > d## or ##r < d##.

The series expansion for ##F(r, \theta)## can be shown to correspond to the potentials of the image charges (located outside the sphere) corresponding to the two charges ##q##. Thus, you can get $$\phi = q/R_1 + q/R_2 - 2q/R_3 + F(r, \theta) = q/R_1 + q/R_2 - 2q/R_3 + q'/R_5 +q'/R_6$$ where q' is an image charge. So, the solution can be written without any expansions in Legendre polynomials.

TSny said:
Uh oh, I'm not sure I want to get into the middle of this :nb).

But your classmate's approach looks correct to me. I think ##F(r, \theta)## is just the potential inside the sphere due to induced charges on the inner surface of the sphere. So, ##F## will satisfy Laplace's equation everywhere inside the sphere and satisfies a boundary condition on the inner surface of the sphere such that the total potential at the surface is zero. This allows you to determine the solution for ##F(r, \theta)## everywhere inside the sphere in terms of a Legendre polynomial expansion.

Thus you can find the solution for the total potential inside the sphere in the form ##\phi = q/R_1 + q/R_2 - 2q/R_3 + F(r, \theta)## as your classmate argues. Of course you could expand the first two terms in Legendre series and these series would have different forms depending on whether ##r > d## or ##r < d##.

The series expansion for ##F(r, \theta)## can be shown to correspond to the potentials of the image charges (located outside the sphere) corresponding to the two charges ##q##. Thus, you can get $$\phi = q/R_1 + q/R_2 - 2q/R_3 + F(r, \theta) = q/R_1 + q/R_2 - 2q/R_3 + q'/R_5 +q'/R_6$$ where q' is an image charge. So, the solution can be written without any expansions in Legendre polynomials.
Yeah...I can't find anything wrong with it too. But there are two questions about this method:
1) Will this give us the discontinuity of the electric field at r=d that we want? How can it be guaranteed when we don't impose it explicitly? Maybe the point charge parts do it for us with their singularity, is it right?
2) How is it that one approach needs three boundary conditions but another needs only one? This is really weird!

Shyan said:
But there are two questions about this method:
1) Will this give us the discontinuity of the electric field at r=d that we want?
The field is discontinuous at r = d only at the locations of the point charges q. The field is continuous at all other points where r = d.

How can it be guaranteed when we don't impose it explicitly? Maybe the point charge parts do it for us with their singularity, is it right?
Yes, by writing explicitly the contributions to the potential from the point charges, you are automatically taking care of boundary conditions at the point charges.

2) How is it that one approach needs three boundary conditions but another needs only one? This is really weird!
The answer is similar to the answer for your first question. The explicit expressions for the potentials of the point charges takes care of the boundary conditions at the point charges q (where r = d and ##\theta = 0## or ##\theta = \pi##).

1. What is a conducting spherical shell?

A conducting spherical shell is a hollow spherical object made of a material that allows electric charges to move freely on its surface.

2. How many charges can be placed inside a conducting spherical shell?

A conducting spherical shell can accommodate an infinite number of charges inside, as long as they are evenly distributed on the surface.

3. What happens to the charges inside a conducting spherical shell?

If the charges are placed inside the shell, they will redistribute themselves in such a way that the electric field inside the shell is zero.

4. What is the effect of adding more charges inside a conducting spherical shell?

Adding more charges inside a conducting spherical shell will not change the electric field inside, as long as they are evenly distributed on the surface. If they are not evenly distributed, the electric field inside may become non-zero.

5. Can the charges inside a conducting spherical shell move?

The charges inside a conducting spherical shell can move freely on the surface, but they will not move inside the shell due to the distribution of charges on the surface that creates a zero electric field inside.