A conjecture about the rationallity of a definite integral

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Damidami
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
Is it true that

[itex]\int_0^1 f(x) dx \in \mathbb{Q} \Rightarrow \int_0^1 x f(x) dx \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex]

?

(Suppose [itex]f(x)[/itex] integrable as needed)

I thought of this conjecture yesterday and still couldn't prove it, I tried using integration by parts to relate it to the original, but didn't work.

Any ideas? Or counterexamples?
Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is false. Try
[tex]f(x) = \pi x \sin(\pi x),\ xf(x) = \pi x^2 \sin(\pi x)[/tex]
 
Wow, thanks!

I couldn't find a counterexample, it seems it wasn't so trivial to find one (to me)

How did you find it so fast?
 
Damidami said:
Wow, thanks!

I couldn't find a counterexample, it seems it wasn't so trivial to find one (to me)

How did you find it so fast?

I just started with sin(πx) which gave 2/π so I changed it so πsin(πx). That gave 2. Then I figured multiplying by x would get π involved in the answer so I tried xπsin(πx) which gave 1, so I tried x2πsin(πx) which gave an irrational.
 
LCKurtz said:
I just started with sin(πx) which gave 2/π so I changed it so πsin(πx). That gave 2. Then I figured multiplying by x would get π involved in the answer so I tried xπsin(πx) which gave 1, so I tried x2πsin(πx) which gave an irrational.

Brilliant! Thank you.