1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A couple of Number Theory questions

1. May 9, 2012 #1
    1. Find all solutions x (with 0 ≤ x ≤ 96) to the congruence 13x^385 + 73x^304 + x^290 + 10x^193 + 24x^112 + 70x + 76 ≡ 0 (mod 97)

I was able to reduce, using Fermat's Little Theorem, to get 97x^16 + x^2 + 93x + 76 ≡ 0 (mod 97), but I don't know how to proceed from there. Is there another trick I can use?

2. http://imgur.com/a/DUyHC

RR denotes two adjacent quadratic residues, while NN denotes two adjacent quadratic non-residues. RN is a residue followed by a non-residue, and NR is a non-residue followed by a residue. I tried to solve the problems by adding and subtracting the four expressions given in part b but I haven't made any progress.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One quick question: What is 97 mod 97 ?

4. May 9, 2012 #3
    One quick response: UGHHHH sometimes I'm an idiot. Thanks!

5. May 9, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you find the solution ?

6. May 9, 2012 #5
    I sure did, I found two solutions just by using the quadratic formula on the equation that remains after the x^16 term goes to zero. Then I just had to make sure that they're between 0 and 97. My solutions aren't integers, which is sort of frustrating, but oh well.

Any advice on the other problem?

7. May 9, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, there are two integer solutions.

What numbers are congruent to 93 and/or 76 (mod 97) ?

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  8. May 9, 2012 #7
    Oh good call, thanks so much. I got integer solutions once I changed the x and the constant term to congruent values.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook