A couple of Number Theory questions

In summary: Thanks again!In summary, two solutions exist for the congruence 13x^385 + 73x^304 + x^290 + 10x^193 + 24x^112 + 70x + 76 ≡ 0 (mod 97) when x is between 0 and 96. The first step is reducing the equation using Fermat's Little Theorem and then using the quadratic formula to find the remaining solutions. In the second conversation, the problem involved finding solutions for different combinations of quadratic residues and non-residues. The advice given was to look for congruent values of 93 and 76 (mod 97) to find integer solutions.
squire636
1. Find all solutions x (with 0 ≤ x ≤ 96) to the congruence 13x^385 + 73x^304 + x^290 + 10x^193 + 24x^112 + 70x + 76 ≡ 0 (mod 97)

I was able to reduce, using Fermat's Little Theorem, to get 97x^16 + x^2 + 93x + 76 ≡ 0 (mod 97), but I don't know how to proceed from there. Is there another trick I can use?2. http://imgur.com/a/DUyHC

RR denotes two adjacent quadratic residues, while NN denotes two adjacent quadratic non-residues. RN is a residue followed by a non-residue, and NR is a non-residue followed by a residue. I tried to solve the problems by adding and subtracting the four expressions given in part b but I haven't made any progress.Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
squire636 said:
1. Find all solutions x (with 0 ≤ x ≤ 96) to the congruence 13x^385 + 73x^304 + x^290 + 10x^193 + 24x^112 + 70x + 76 ≡ 0 (mod 97)

I was able to reduce, using Fermat's Little Theorem, to get 97x^16 + x^2 + 93x + 76 ≡ 0 (mod 97), but I don't know how to proceed from there. Is there another trick I can use?

2. http://imgur.com/a/DUyHC

RR denotes two adjacent quadratic residues, while NN denotes two adjacent quadratic non-residues. RN is a residue followed by a non-residue, and NR is a non-residue followed by a residue. I tried to solve the problems by adding and subtracting the four expressions given in part b but I haven't made any progress.

Thanks for the help!
One quick question: What is 97 mod 97 ?

One quick response: UGHHHH sometimes I'm an idiot. Thanks!

squire636 said:
One quick response: UGHHHH sometimes I'm an idiot. Thanks!
Did you find the solution ?

I sure did, I found two solutions just by using the quadratic formula on the equation that remains after the x^16 term goes to zero. Then I just had to make sure that they're between 0 and 97. My solutions aren't integers, which is sort of frustrating, but oh well.

Any advice on the other problem?

squire636 said:
I sure did, I found two solutions just by using the quadratic formula on the equation that remains after the x^16 term goes to zero. Then I just had to make sure that they're between 0 and 97. My solutions aren't integers, which is sort of frustrating, but oh well.

Any advice on the other problem?
Well, there are two integer solutions.

What numbers are congruent to 93 and/or 76 (mod 97) ?

Last edited:
Oh good call, thanks so much. I got integer solutions once I changed the x and the constant term to congruent values.

What is Number Theory?

Number Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers, particularly integers.

What are the basic concepts of Number Theory?

The basic concepts of Number Theory include prime numbers, divisibility, factorization, and congruence.

What are some real-world applications of Number Theory?

Number Theory has many practical applications, such as in cryptography, coding theory, and computer science.

What is the famous unsolved problem in Number Theory?

The most famous unsolved problem in Number Theory is the Riemann Hypothesis, which deals with the distribution of prime numbers.

What skills are important for studying Number Theory?

To study Number Theory, one should have a strong understanding of algebra, geometry, and mathematical proofs. Critical thinking and problem-solving skills are also essential.