Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Α-decay and nuclear reaction

1. May 3, 2017 #1

Haynes Kwon

Gold Member

Is α-decay same as nuclear fission?
    What is the difference?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2017 #2

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Typically it is only called "fission" if the process creates two or three nuclei of similar size, but that is purely a naming convention. Cluster decays are somewhere between alpha decays and fission.

4. May 3, 2017 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

No, fission is not alpha decay and alpha decay is generally not considered as fission althoughit technically is a splitting of a nucleus in several parts. Generally, fission usually refers to the splitting of a nucleus in such a way that there are at least two products that carry a significant fraction of the original mass.

5. May 4, 2017 #4

Haynes Kwon

Gold Member

Thank you all. May I ask one more?
    I don't see why this is not nuclear fusion.

ace;P&space;}\quad&space;+\quad&space;_{&space;0&space;}^{&space;1&space;}{&space;n&space;}.gif

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  6. May 4, 2017 #5

mfb

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Same thing: Just a matter of convention what is called fusion and what is not. I guess you could call that fusion, although ##(\alpha, n)## would be a more conventional notation for the reaction.

7. May 4, 2017 #6

Haynes Kwon

Gold Member

Thank you very much.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted