A difficult choice - General Relativity or Dark Matter....

In summary, the conversation revolves around the decision between two PhD offers - one in General Relativity and Early Universe Cosmology and the other in particle physics phenomenology and dark matter. The individual is currently leaning towards GR due to their interest in research, but also sees potential in a career in the financial tech sector if research does not work out. Both projects involve programming and the decision ultimately depends on the individual's long term career goals.
DrSuage
Hi all,

I've just been made offers to two different institutions - one to study General Relativity and Early Universe Cosmology, and one to study particle physics phenomenology and dark matter at PhD level, and I'm having a hard time choosing!

Relativity and Cosmology is Queen Mary University of London
Dark Matter is Royal Holloway University of London

Which would you choose? Why?

I'm currently leaning towards GR but its a really tough decision as it will massively affect the trajectory of my potential career.

Your collective thoughts will be much appreciated. Ta

Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of it depends upon your career goals. What's your long term plan?

In a dream world I'd like to get a postdoc and continue doing research - I do understand that the numbers aren't good in that respect but if you don't try, you can't succeed.

Arghghghghghghg... at the start of this year I would have taken dark matter no question, but I've really enjoyed my GR recently and have massively expanded my repertoire in Differential Geometry and really enjoyed that too...

What's your backup plan if research doesn't pan out? I'd imagine that GR involves a lot of computer modelling and programming, so that could be useful in some potential alternate careers. If you're more on the experimental and equipment side of physics, particle physics might land you a good job at a nuclear power plant or something.

Both are theoretical projects, and I imagine both will involve significant amounts of programming.

If research doesn't work out, then I'd probably try to get a job in the Financial tech sector - maybe coding or numerical modelling.

1. What is General Relativity and how does it relate to Dark Matter?

General Relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915 to explain how gravity works in the universe. It states that the curvature of space-time is determined by the distribution of matter and energy. Dark Matter is a hypothetical form of matter that cannot be seen or detected through electromagnetic radiation, but its presence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter. General Relativity and Dark Matter are related because the theory of General Relativity helps to explain the behavior of Dark Matter in the universe.

2. Why is it difficult to choose between General Relativity and Dark Matter?

The choice between General Relativity and Dark Matter is difficult because both theories have been extensively studied and have a lot of evidence to support their existence. However, they also have some limitations and unanswered questions, making it challenging to determine which one accurately describes the universe's behavior. Ultimately, it may require a combination of both theories to fully understand the universe's mysteries.

3. How does General Relativity explain the behavior of gravity?

General Relativity explains gravity as the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of matter and energy. According to this theory, objects with more mass create a deeper curvature in space-time, which causes other objects to be pulled towards them. The greater the mass, the stronger the gravitational pull.

4. What evidence supports the existence of Dark Matter?

There is a significant amount of evidence that supports the existence of Dark Matter. One of the most compelling pieces of evidence is the observation of gravitational lensing, where the light from distant galaxies is bent as it passes through regions with a high concentration of Dark Matter. Other evidence includes the rotation curves of galaxies, the distribution of matter in galaxy clusters, and the fluctuations in the cosmic microwave background radiation.

5. Can General Relativity and Dark Matter coexist?

Yes, General Relativity and Dark Matter can coexist. In fact, many scientists believe that both theories are necessary to fully explain the behavior of the universe. General Relativity can explain the large-scale structure of the universe, while Dark Matter can account for the missing mass and gravitational effects on visible matter. However, there is ongoing research and debate about how these two theories can be integrated to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the universe.