Does the university's prestige matter? [PhD admission]

In summary: But if you want to reach the top levels of the field, you'll need to go to a more prestigious university.
Philip Land
Hi!

I'm currently applying for a masters program in theoretical physics, more specifically in String and Quantum Field theory.

I will apply for Oxford, Kings college, Imperial college and Perimeter Institute among other universities and institutions.

However, I also want to go to Uppsala University in Sweden, where I know I will get a place. The reason is that they offer great and very rare courses, and it's also very convenient for me in terms of accommodations etc. But this university is generally infamous.

The reason I'm applying for the more famous and prestigious universities above is that I want to have all doors open and good opportunities to take my P.h.D on a good university in UK or USA. In the end of the day, I will learn as much if not more at Uppsala University, but I'm afraid I won't be as attractive PhD candidate as if I instead went to a prestigious university.

My question is, how much does this matter when applying for my PhD? Perhaps those who pick PhD candidates aren't as flattered by the title of the previous university as I believe?

What is your experience?

P.S This is not a thread to discuss whether my choice of study is right,.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Infamous?

Can you elaborate?

Likes Anthony Beckwith
Vanadium 50 said:
Infamous?

Can you elaborate?
The OP probably meant "not famous", rather than "infamous". Though Uppsala has a distinguished history.

Could be. But let's see what he says.

Vanadium 50 said:
Could be. But let's see what he says.
Yes, not famous. Of course, people in the industry know very well about Uppsala University, but it doesn't have a prestige such as Oxford of course.

Philip Land said:
Of course, people in the industry know very well about Uppsala University,

Isn't that your answer then? Aren't they the members of future selection committees?

In my experience, Uppsala University has a great reputation with very good researchers (some of them I know personally). Sure, it's not Oxford, Cambridge or MIT. I did my PhD in a relatively less well-known university, although my supervisor was quite famous and had a lot of good connections. I'm very happy I did my PhD there, and a lot of my supervisor's former students have good positions now. The group was quite small and everyone was very down to earth. To be honest, I don't think I would have liked the environment of these "famous universities" if I got the chance of going there (and I went there for conferences). I guess I would make the same decision for a master's program.

You can choose for a prestigious university, but if you want to become a researcher, the supervision is imho more important. And personally for me: the atmosphere. I'm one of these strange people who think a PhD should also be enjoyable and hope that people will judge me on my content, not my background.

Just my 2 cents.

Likes Philip Land, gleem and Klystron
Vanadium 50 said:
Isn't that your answer then? Aren't they the members of future selection committees?
Because it's well known perhaps don't mean they respect it as much :)

haushofer said:
In my experience, Uppsala University has a great reputation with very good researchers (some of them I know personally). Sure, it's not Oxford, Cambridge or MIT. I did my PhD in a relatively less well-known university, although my supervisor was quite famous and had a lot of good connections. I'm very happy I did my PhD there, and a lot of my supervisor's former students have good positions now. The group was quite small and everyone was very down to earth. To be honest, I don't think I would have liked the environment of these "famous universities" if I got the chance of going there (and I went there for conferences). I guess I would make the same decision for a master's program.

You can choose for a prestigious university, but if you want to become a researcher, the supervision is imho more important. And personally for me: the atmosphere. I'm one of these strange people who think a PhD should also be enjoyable and hope that people will judge me on my content, not my background.

Just my 2 cents.
Thank you very much. That was very helpful :)

Philip Land said:
I'll phrase it this way. Assuming that the professors at Uppsala have a strong positive reputation and are well known to others in the field (physics), you should be OK as long as the position you next apply for is in the same field. If you should change fields, however, then the brand-name recognition of the school becomes a more significant factor.

Philip Land said:

This question comes up a lot.
The answer is that who your supervisor is will be way more important than the university. There are many excellent and very well-known (and well-connected) researchers working at small universities for one reason or another. I know a few people who are well-known in their field and who were offered a positions at top universities in London but decided that they wanted to live in a smaller (and way cheaper) city instead.
There are also small universities that excel in and invest heavily in very specific research areas.

I also know of some not-so-good groups at all British universities you mentioned (albeit in my area which is not related to what you want to study).

That said, my information is probably way out of date; but in your specific area I would have thought Chalmers or Stockholm University would have been a better choice among the universities in Sweden? I know that both have (or at least had) very strong string theory groups.

1. Does the university's ranking affect my chances of getting into a PhD program?

It can have an impact, but it is not the only factor considered by admission committees. Other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement also play a significant role in the decision-making process.

2. Is it better to attend a highly ranked university for my PhD?

Attending a highly ranked university may provide more opportunities for networking, resources, and recognition. However, it is ultimately the quality of your research and publications that will determine your success in the field, regardless of the university's ranking.

3. Can I still get into a good PhD program if I didn't attend a prestigious undergraduate university?

Yes, many universities value diversity and look for candidates from a variety of backgrounds. As long as you have a strong academic record and relevant research experience, you have a good chance of getting into a top PhD program.

4. Do I need to have a high GPA from my undergraduate degree to be considered for a PhD program?

While a high GPA can certainly strengthen your application, it is not the only determining factor. Admission committees also consider research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement in their decision-making process.

5. Will attending a prestigious university for my PhD give me an advantage in the job market?

It may give you an advantage in terms of networking and connections, but it ultimately depends on your research and publications. Employers are more interested in your skills and contributions to the field rather than the university you received your degree from.