1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A EASY QUESTION FOR probability probability A easy question for probability

1. Aug 7, 2012 #1
    Let X; Y be two random variables with the following joint distribution(in the attachment):

(a) Compute p(X) and p(Y )
    (b) Compute p(X|Y = 1)
    (c) compute p(Y = 1|X = 1) using (a) and (b)
    (d) Are X and Y statistically independent? Show all your working.

This is my answer, but I don't know whether it's correct
    (a) joint probabilities:
    p(X=1)= 0+1/8=1/8
    p(X=2)= 3/4+1/8=7/8
    so p(X)= 1/8+7/8=1
    p(Y=1)= 0+3/4=3/4
    p(Y=2)=1/8+1/8=1/4
    so p(Y)=3/4+1/4=1
    just like Millennial said, I also don't understand this question, because I think it doesn't make any sense.

(b) p(Y=1,X) = p(Y=1)p(X|Y=1)
    so p(X|Y=1) = p(Y=1, X)/p(Y=1) =?/(3/4)
    here I have a question, I don't know how to compute p(Y=1,X), and btw does p(Y=1,X) = p(X, Y=1)?

(c) because I can't actually compute (b), so just leave it behind for now.

(d) because p(X=1,Y=1) = 0 and it doesn't equal to p(X=1)p(Y=1) = 1/8,so they are not statistically independent.

Attached Files:

• ???.png
      ???.png
      File size:
      2.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2012 #2
    I didn't understand anything. Are X and Y, 1 or 2? Or is 1 the happening probability of Y and X?

4. Aug 7, 2012 #3
    You misunderstood the assignment; it's you who are supposed to do it, not us. Maybe show us what you got so far and we might be able to help.

5. Aug 7, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

The table may be clearer if the label p(X,Y) didn't appear on the figure, but instead were printed underneath the figure as a caption.

6. Aug 7, 2012 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

fhjop1: welcome to PF.
    clamtrox is correct - since you say the question is "easy", what's the problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook