A few questions on college physics I (preparations)

In summary, the individual joined a forum and apologized for starting their questions with a story. They expressed their love for math classes and their familiarity with the style of teaching where the professor and students work through problems together. They mentioned taking an algebra-based physics course as a prerequisite for Calculus-based physics and asked for advice on how to take notes from PowerPoints. They also shared they purchased a voice recorder and a reference book for their upcoming physics classes and asked for tips and additional reference materials. They ended by acknowledging the importance of studying and understanding the material.
onstepatatime
hello everyone, I just registered on this forum and really hate to start off in this manner (and yes, I butchered my name:redface:). I’m truly sorry for opening up my questions with a story though, if you don’t want to read, I truly understand.

I completely love the way math classes are taught, kind of like the professor and you are both on the same page, working out problems. They lecture, you write, they give you a problem, you solve, sometimes they work through problems together with the class. This type of style I’m very used to. Even though I finished Calculus I with a high “A”, I took an introduction to physics course in college last semester (not real physics, because it was only algebra based) since it was recommended (though not required) to take that before jumping to the Calculus I based course. First question, If any of you have taken similar courses, how much does the course I took relate to Calculus I based physics?

2nd part: Now, I'm not trying to pass blame (I actually put 100% of it on me) but my professor for physics did not teach out of the book, instead she used power points which is something I am not too familiar/don't have much experience with. Due to the fact that there was not much time in between each of the ideas/principles taught. It didn't help me much that she blew right through some slides (not nearly enough time to copy down even 1/4 of it on some occasions). It was just tough for me to copy down the notes that were on the slides, while trying to write down the extra information she was talking about (not on the slides). I did read the book afterwards and grasped what she had talked bout. The thing that irks me though, was that in the actual lectures it was hard for me to follow her since my focus was trying to copy the slides and what she was saying nearly at the same time. I guess I may be an old fashioned learner since I was not used to taking notes from the power points either. I'm sure that the mass majority of professors lecture with power points so is there any advice that some of you might have when it comes to taking notes off slides? Did anyone else find it difficult in comparison to learn with power point vs traditional teaching? Maybe someone like me who is used to Math class style of note taking, then dealt with power points?

I already bought a decent voice recorder hoping it will serve me well, but I know physics is a visual course glancing at all the /calculus/linear algebra/diff. equations problem solving in future classes. Has anyone used a voice recording device with some success? I also went ahead and found out what text we're using for College Physics I (the Halliday/Resnick latest edition) and bought "An Introduction to Mechanics" By Daniel Kleppner to maybe serve as an "outside reference" (I know this book is advanced lol). I really went hardcore into this stuff but am taking it slowly and analytically. Are there any good physics study tips anyone can share with me and maybe some decent texts/reference materials for my upcoming classes? Possibly a reference that supplements the Halliday/Resnick text well? A very positive learning experience even for this basic of a class was it taught me I have to study, study, study for this subject and don't read the next sentence unless I fully understood the one before it. Thank you very much for bearing with me, but I really do love this subject and want to maximize my understanding of it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lol i used to sleep in my lectures during junior college and caught up with classes on my own but I wouldn't reccomend that cause I was really sleepy from gaming too much at night :p I seldom copy ntoes cause its all in the textbooks. I prefer to udnerstand on my own and then bother my teacher at an approapriate time when i do not udnerstand something.

Hello and welcome to the forum! It's great to see your enthusiasm for college physics and your dedication to learning the subject. To answer your first question, the introduction to physics course you took may have covered some of the same topics as a calculus-based physics course, but the approach and depth of the material may have been different. Since calculus is an essential tool for understanding physics, taking a calculus-based physics course will likely provide a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.

In regards to your second question, it's not uncommon for professors to use power points in their lectures. My advice would be to focus on understanding the material rather than trying to copy everything down. You can always go back and review the power points later, and it's more important to actively listen and engage with the material during the lecture.

Using a voice recorder can be a helpful tool for reviewing lectures and understanding difficult concepts. However, it's important to still actively participate in class and take notes, as simply listening to a recording may not be as effective for learning.

In terms of study tips, practice problems and working through examples is key in understanding physics concepts. It's also helpful to form study groups with classmates and discuss the material together. As for reference materials, the Halliday/Resnick text is a great resource and the Kleppner book you purchased may serve as a helpful supplement. Additionally, websites like Khan Academy and Physics Classroom offer free online resources for studying physics.

Overall, the key to success in college physics is dedication and hard work. Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification when needed. Best of luck in your upcoming classes!

1. What topics should I focus on while preparing for college physics?

It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus before starting college physics. Other important topics to focus on include mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and optics.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in college physics?

The best way to improve problem-solving skills in college physics is to practice regularly. Start with simple problems and gradually increase the difficulty level. You can also work in groups or seek help from a tutor to understand the thought process behind solving a problem.

3. Are there any online resources or tools that can help with preparations for college physics?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available that can help with preparations for college physics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and Physics Forums. You can also find practice problems, quizzes, and tutorials on these websites.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background for college physics?

Yes, a strong mathematical background is crucial for understanding and solving problems in college physics. It is recommended to have a good understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus before starting college physics courses.

5. How can I manage my time effectively while preparing for college physics?

Time management is key when preparing for college physics. Make a study schedule and stick to it, allocate more time for difficult topics, and take regular breaks to avoid burnout. It's also important to stay organized and prioritize your tasks to make the most of your study time.