A horizontal force of 100 N is applied a block solve this

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 10K views
wein7145
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


1) A block lies on a horizontal friction-less surface. A horizontal force of 100 N is applied to the block giving rise to an acceleration of 3m/s^2.

(a) Determine the mass of the block.
b)Calculate the distance the block will travel if the force is applied for 10s.
c)Calculate the speed of the block after the force has been applied for 10s.

Homework Equations


Force=mass*(acceleration)
distance = 1/2*a*t^2
velocity = a*t

The Attempt at a Solution


a) I'm pretty sure it's just Force/accel =mass so 100N/3m/s^2=33.33kg (Edit kg not N)
b) distance = 1/2*a*t^2 = 1/2*3 m/s^2 * (10s)^2 = 150 m
c) velocity = a*t = 3 m/s^2 * 10s = 30 m/s
Just check over my work. At least I feel like I'm learning something this week.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wein7145 said:

Homework Statement


1) A block lies on a horizontal friction-less surface. A horizontal force of 100 N is applied to the block giving rise to an acceleration of 3m/s^2.

(a) Determine the mass of the block.
b)Calculate the distance the block will travel if the force is applied for 10s.
c)Calculate the speed of the block after the force has been applied for 10s.

Homework Equations


Force=mass*(acceleration)
distance = 1/2*a*t^2
velocity = a*t

The Attempt at a Solution


a) I'm pretty sure it's just Force/accel =mass so 100N/3m/s^2=33.33N
b) distance = 1/2*a*t^2 = 1/2*3 m/s^2 * (10s)^2 = 150 m
c) velocity = a*t = 3 m/s^2 * 10s = 30 m/s
Just check over my work. At least I feel like I'm learning something this week.

In a) the units of mass are not Newtons.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: wein7145
In a) the units of mass are not Newtons.
Whoops your right they are kg (Kilograms) But does everything else look good?
 
wein7145 said:
Whoops your right they are kg (Kilograms) But does everything else look good?
Yes, everything else seems to be OK.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: wein7145