A layman's question about entanglement

• B
  • Thread starter beans1971
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entanglement
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of entanglement and its implications in quantum mechanics. The speaker has a theory but is unsure if it makes sense due to their limited understanding of the subject. The possibility of distance losing its significance in entanglement is also mentioned. The conversation concludes by suggesting to seek help from the community for a better understanding of quantum mechanics.
beans1971
TL;DR Summary
A layman's question about entanglement
I am fascinated by entanglement. I have a theory but it's not based in enough physical knowledge for me to say whether or not it makes sense. I suspect on the quantum level that time looses its ability. Thus, distance would lose its significance. So when I hear spin can be affected at any distance is that relevant?
Please be kind as I have a VERY basic understanding in this area

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

If you want to learn more about QM, then there are many people on here who can help. We won't get sidetracked, however, into discussing your alternative theories.

Your question is too vague to make much sense. Entanglement at one level is well understood, although it may challenge our prior conceptions about how nature ought to work.

Likes sophiecentaur
beans1971 said:
I have a theory but it's not based in enough physical knowledge for me to say whether or not it makes sense.
Please be mindful of the forum rule about not posting new theories until they have been published in an appropriate peer-reviewed journal.

However, questions about how entanglement works and what is known about it are welcome and can be posted in the Quantum Physics subforum. As @PeroK says, there are many people here who can help you understand this stuff. This thread is closed.

• Sad
Likes Delta2

1. What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two or more particles become connected and behave as a single system, even when separated by large distances. This means that the state of one particle will affect the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How does entanglement work?

Entanglement occurs when two or more particles are created or interact in a way that their properties become correlated. This means that measuring the state of one particle will instantly determine the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. This phenomenon is not fully understood, but it is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

3. What are the implications of entanglement?

Entanglement has many potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and teleportation. It also challenges our understanding of the classical world, as it allows for instantaneous communication between particles, which goes against the principles of relativity.

4. Can entanglement be observed in everyday life?

No, entanglement is a phenomenon that occurs at the quantum level and cannot be observed in everyday life. It requires precise conditions and equipment to create and measure entangled particles.

5. Is entanglement real or just a theory?

Entanglement is a well-established phenomenon in quantum mechanics and has been observed in numerous experiments. It is not just a theory, but a fundamental aspect of the quantum world that has been confirmed through various experiments and applications.