1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A little help with this complex number question

1. Oct 9, 2006 #1
    if z = 2 r cos x + r i sin x
    what is the value of lzl

I worked for 3 hours but yet can only find lzl in terms of r and x, but the question says find the value, can anyone help solve? this is a special question to me because i always see polar forms with coefficient of the sin and cos as the same, but this question shows otherwise.

ty, help appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2006 #2
    you sure you dont mean [tex] z = 2rCos(x) + riSin(x) [/tex] ? If so use your Cis rule or exponential equality for cos + i sin

4. Oct 9, 2006 #3
    sorry bout the i, i edited already, what do u mean by the cis rule or exponential equality, can u teach me?

5. Oct 9, 2006 #4
    can anybody help solve this for me?

6. Oct 9, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Am I correct, that you are given z= 2r cos(x)+ i r sin(x) and want to find |z|? That will depend on r and x- it's obviously not a single number since the larger r is obviously the larger the |z|. If, for example, x= 0 then z= 2r which has absolute value 2r. If x= [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] then z= i r and so |z|= r.

[tex]|z|= \sqrt{z\cdot\overlinez}= \sqrt{(2r cos(x)+ i r sin(x))(2r cos(x)- i r sin(x)}= \sqrt{4r^2cos^2(x)- r^2 sin^2(x)}[/= r \sqrt{4 cos^2(x)- sin^2(x)}[/tex]

You might be able to simplify that squareroot by trig identities but you can't get rid of r and x.

7. Oct 9, 2006 #6
    the cis thing is basically converting complex cartesian forms to polar ones

[tex] {e^{it}} = Cos(t) + i Sin(t) [/tex]

the t should be the power aswell with i but for some reason the tex wont do it :( need to learn more about it i guess

8. Oct 9, 2006 #7
    ok, so now i know i was right, time to get to school and prove to my teacher that there is no answer, since the question asks for a value, ty ppl for helping me, i wasted 5 hours of my life working on something i got right 5 hours ago, once again ty ppl, help appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook