Polar Representation of a Complex Number

In summary: Therefore, rcis(360-\theta)= \bar{z}.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the polar representation of complex numbers and the use of Euler's formula and trigonometric identities to do so. The answer is determined to be rcis(180+\theta) and rcis(180-\theta) for -z and -z\bar{}, respectively. Additionally, it is noted that there are other ways to find the polar representation without using Euler's formula. The conversation also touches on the concept of complex conjugates and how they relate to the polar representation.
Yankel
Hello all,

Given a complex number:

\[z=r(cos\theta +isin\theta )\]

I wish to find the polar representation of:

\[-z,-z\bar{}\]

I know that the answer should be:

\[rcis(180+\theta )\]

and

\[rcis(180-\theta )\]

but I don't know how to get there. I suspect a trigonometric identity, but I couldn't figure it out.

I did manage to fine that the polar representation of

\[z\bar{}\]

is

\[rcis(-\theta )\]

but I did that using the fact that cos is an even function and sin is odd.

Thank you !

- - - Updated - - -

z- is the conjugate, I don't know why my Latex went so wrong...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It might be simpler to use Euler's formula here:

\(\displaystyle z=r\text{cis}(\theta)=re^{i\theta}\)

And then, since:

\(\displaystyle e^{i\pi}=-1\)

We may conclude:

\(\displaystyle -z=re^{i\pi}e^{i\theta}=re^{i(\pi+\theta)}\)

Likewise, since:

\(\displaystyle \overline{z}=re^{-i\theta}\)

Then:

\(\displaystyle -\overline{z}=re^{i(\pi-\theta)}\)

Thank you, it's a very nice solution ! Is there another way of doing it, without Euler ?

Yankel said:
Thank you, it's a very nice solution ! Is there another way of doing it, without Euler ?

Yes, if we consider the identities:

\(\displaystyle \cos(\pi+\theta)=-\cos(\theta)\)

\(\displaystyle \sin(\pi+\theta)=-\sin(\theta)\)

Then it follows that:

\(\displaystyle r\text{cis}(\pi+\theta)=-r\text{cis}(\theta)\)

And if we consider the identities:

\(\displaystyle \cos(\pi-\theta)=-\cos(\theta)\)

\(\displaystyle \sin(\pi-\theta)=\sin(\theta)\)

Then it follows that:

\(\displaystyle r\text{cis}(\pi-\theta)=-\overline{r\text{cis}(\theta)}\)

Thank you !

May I ask something related (therefore won't open a new thread for it).

Why is

\[rcis(360-\theta )=\bar{z}\] ?

The angle (argument) \(\displaystyle \theta\) is measured from the real (x) axis. [tex]360- \theta[/tex] (I would say [tex]2\pi- \theta[/tex]) changes from [tex]\theta[/tex] to [tex]-\theta[/tex] so [tex]r(cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta))[/tex] to [tex]r(cos(-\theta)+ i sin(-\theta))[/tex], which, because cosine is an "even function" ([tex]cos(-\theta)= cos(\theta)[/tex]) and sine is an "odd function" ([tex]sin(-\theta)= -sin(\theta)[/tex]), equals [tex]r(cos(\theta)- i sin(\theta))[/tex], the complex conjugate.

What is the polar representation of a complex number?

The polar representation of a complex number is a way of expressing a complex number in terms of its magnitude (or modulus) and angle. It is written as r(cosθ + i sinθ), where r is the magnitude and θ is the angle.

How is the polar representation related to the rectangular representation of a complex number?

The polar representation and the rectangular representation of a complex number are two different ways of representing the same number. The polar representation provides information about the magnitude and angle, while the rectangular representation provides information about the real and imaginary parts of the number.

What is the benefit of using polar representation over rectangular representation?

One benefit of using polar representation is that it simplifies operations involving complex numbers. In polar form, multiplication is done by multiplying the magnitudes and adding the angles, which is much easier than multiplying complex numbers in rectangular form.

How do you convert a complex number from polar to rectangular form?

To convert a complex number from polar to rectangular form, you can use the formula x + yi = r cosθ + i r sinθ, where r is the magnitude and θ is the angle. Using this formula, you can find the real and imaginary parts of the number and write it in rectangular form.

Can complex numbers be represented in other forms besides polar and rectangular?

Yes, there are other ways to represent complex numbers, such as exponential form and trigonometric form. However, polar and rectangular forms are the most commonly used and provide a convenient way to perform operations on complex numbers.