Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A low temperature flame that melts carbon?

1. May 24, 2006 #1
    A low temperature flame that melts carbon??

I saw this on television the other day. I have no idea how it works. It sound promising but so have a lot of other things in the past. There is a clickable news video in the link.

http://freeenergynews.com/Directory/RhodesGas/index.html

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2006 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I understand this process has been sensationalized. What they don't tell you regards some kind of phosphate caustic that is needed for the reaction according to a chemist I heard discuss this today. He seemed to shrug it off as if it were a no starter technology. I suspect he's correct unfortunately, there's no free lunch, and with all the secretism regarding this I suspect that's what they're hiding.

4. May 24, 2006 #3
    Explosively cracked pottery! (pun intended)

Ha! Another obnoxiously idiotic scam being thrown around the internet by shameless crackpots. Boo! Hiss!

5. May 24, 2006 #4
    I think you're thinking about a different psuedoscience, involving getting "free energy" from electrolysis/recombustion of water? This is a different scam here.

6. May 24, 2006 #5

dav2008

Gold Member

That car that runs on water is basically running on electricity.

My understand is that it's better because you don't have to replace the expensive battery every so often like in an electric. However I assume there are other expensive maintenance issues and drawbacks to this car that runs on water.

7. May 24, 2006 #6
    What?........

8. May 25, 2006 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It doesn't run on water, it runs on hydrogen. From everything I have seen, this is rewrapped electrolysis. I had not seen anything on the aspect that Q pointed out. In any event, I can not see how the process is very efficient. They have shown this guy's interview on our local news for the past three days.

9. May 25, 2006 #8

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just did a bit of research on this - just enough to be dangerous. Apparantly they add KOH (postasium hydroxide) to water to increase the conductivity. This is just an electrolysis of water, nothing particularly interesting. It seems to be on the order of 35% efficient in producing hydrogen from water (not very good).

Ref: http://www.pureenergysystems.com/academy/papers/Common_Duct_Electrolytic_OxyHydrogen/index.html

10. May 27, 2006 #9
  11. May 27, 2006 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, this is a pretty weak - pathetic, even - but common hoax.

Sorry, I had a tough week at work and didn't notice this thread before someone reported it...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?