A Man and His Shadow: Velocity and Relationship with Sunlight

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gyroscope
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Shadow
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Gyroscope

Homework Statement


One man, with height h, is inside a room. On the ceiling of the room there is a candle that is at a height H from the floor. The man moves in a straight line with velocity v1, passing below the candle.

a) Determine the velocity of the shadow of his head projected on the floor.

b) What is the relationship between the velocity of the man and the velocity of the shadow of his head when he walks outside below the sun.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



a)

[tex]v_{\rm shadow}=\left \frac{H}{H-h} \right v_1[/tex]

b)

In this case, H >> h, so vshadow=vman.

Am I right? Thanks in advance for your replies.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can use a scalar here. My experience is that a shadow "accelerates". When he is underneath the candle, there will be practically no shadow. When he is farther away, the shadow will be much larger. So it accelerates, so to speak.

Dorothy
 
Dorothy, but we are concerned only about the shadow of his head as we can see it as a point. Why do you say it is accelerating?
 
Hi Gyroscope,

Yes, sorry. I think your solution is correct.

Dorothy
 
It is not that I don't trust Dorothy, but I would like a second opinion. I just love second opinions!