A mom wanting some help with her 16-year old's son hmwk problem

• Thread starter oceanflavored
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the force on a golf club and the resulting acceleration of a golf ball. The force on the club increases when the ball is struck due to impulsive forces. This is in accordance with Newton's "equal but opposite force" theory.
oceanflavored
A mom wanting some help with her 16-year old's son problem :tongue:

Homework Statement

A golf club is swung with a large force, and the golf ball moves forward at a high acceleration. Which also happens as an effect?
A] The force on the club increases
B] The force on the club decreases
C] The force of gravity on the ball increases
D] The force of gravity on the ball decreases

Homework Equations

common sense. which apparently I don't possesses enough of ;)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it was B, because I remembered Newton's "equal but opposite force" theory, but then the club has such less mass, than a golf ball. hmm. i don't know. maybe i'll attempt to read the chapter.

Appreciate ANY feedback.
Gracias muchachos/as

Physics news on Phys.org
The force of gravity doesn't change, but the force on the club will increase. This increase is due to the impulsive forces acting when the ball and the club connected.

I would suggest that the correct answer is A] The force on the club increases. This is due to Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In this case, the golf ball has a smaller mass compared to the golf club, so the force on the club must increase in order to produce the high acceleration of the ball. Additionally, the force on the club is also affected by factors such as the angle and speed of the swing, as well as the properties of the club itself. I would recommend reviewing the chapter and practicing some problems to solidify your understanding of the concepts. Good luck!

What is the best way to approach a 16-year old's homework problem as a mom?

The best way to approach a 16-year old's homework problem is to have an open and honest conversation with your son. Ask him about his understanding of the problem and offer to help him break it down into smaller, manageable tasks. It is important to show support and patience while also encouraging independence.

How can I motivate my 16-year old son to do his homework?

Motivating a 16-year old can be a challenge, but it is important to find what works best for your son. Some suggestions could include setting specific goals and rewards, creating a designated study space, or finding a study buddy. It is also important to ensure your son is well-rested and has a balanced diet to maintain focus and energy.

What if my 16-year old struggles with a particular subject or assignment?

If your son is struggling with a particular subject or assignment, it may be beneficial to reach out to his teacher for additional resources or to schedule a one-on-one meeting. You can also suggest seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group. It is important to offer support and encouragement rather than criticizing or getting frustrated.

How can I balance my role as a mom and my role as a helper with my 16-year old's homework?

Balancing your role as a mom and helper with your son's homework can be challenging, but setting boundaries and establishing a routine can help. It is important to communicate openly with your son and set expectations for both roles. Additionally, taking breaks and engaging in activities outside of homework can help maintain a healthy balance.

How can I ensure my 16-year old is learning and understanding the material, rather than just completing the homework?

To ensure your son is learning and understanding the material, it is important to periodically check in with him and ask him to explain his thought process and reasoning. Encourage him to ask questions and provide additional resources if needed. It is also helpful to review previous assignments or tests to see if there are any patterns of misunderstanding that can be addressed.