A net gravitational problem

In summary, the problem is that you don't understand how to use the equations. You need to diagram the masses and then use the equations to solve for the force on the 41 kg mass.
chocolatelover
Hello everyone,

Could someone please help me with this problem?

Homework Statement

A 145kg object and a 445kg object are separated by .420m.
a. Find the net gravitational force exerted by these objects on a 41.0kg object placed midway between them.
b. At what position can the 41.0kg object be placed so as to experience a net force of zero?

Homework Equations

F=Gm1m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(6.67X10^-11Nm^2/kg)(145kg)(41.0kg)/.420^2=-2.2X10^-6

(6.67X10^-11Nm^2/kg)(445kg)(4)/.420^2=6.7X10^-7

-2.2X10^-6+6.67X10^-7=2.87X10^-6

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
If the 41.0 kg object is "placed midway between them", how far is it from the first two masses?

Other than that, looks like you have (a) pretty much.

Thank you very much

Could you please tell me if a. looks correct?

For part b., would you just take the first one plus the middle one plus the third one and set it equal to the total force and solve for the middle one?

Thank you

a is not quite correct. You have the right idea except that:
1. As I said before, if the 41.0 kg object is "placed midway between them", how far is it from the other two masses?
2. Why do you get a smaller force due to the larger 445 kg mass? Larger masses should exert larger forces. Something is wrong here.

For b, you'll need to write out an expression for the force on the 41 kg mass.

Thank you very much

For part a., would I just take 4.7 X 10^-6 and divide it by 2?

Thank you

I don't see where "4.7 X 10^-6" comes in, so I'll have to say no, that is not what to do.

For the 3rd time:
If the 41.0 kg object is "placed midway between them", how far is it from the other two masses?

It's in the middle. Is that what you mean? So, wouldn't you just take

6.67 X 10^-11(145)(41/2)/.42^2?

6.67 X 10^-11(445kg)(41.0kg)/2/(.42)^2?

Thank you

Last edited:
chocolatelover said:
It's in the middle. Is that what you mean?

It's almost (but not quite) what I mean. What distance is "in the middle" from the other masses? I'm look for the actual distance, in meters, from "in the middle" to one end or the other.

So, wouldn't you just take

6.67 X 10^-11(145)(41/2)/.42^2?

6.67 X 10^-11(445kg)(41.0kg)/2/(.42)^2?

Thank you

We can get to that later, but first it would be helpful to answer the distance question I asked above.

Well, in the problem it states that the two objects are separated by .420 m. Is that what you mean? Thus, the 41.0 object is at .420 m, right?

Thank you

Have you drawn a diagram of the 3 masses? You are just not picturing the arrangement correctly.

Sorry, I can't offer any more advice or hints to you.

1. What is a net gravitational problem?

A net gravitational problem refers to a situation where multiple objects with different masses exert gravitational forces on each other, resulting in a net force acting on the objects.

2. How is the net gravitational force calculated?

The net gravitational force is calculated by summing the individual gravitational forces between each pair of objects involved in the problem. This is done using the formula F = G * (m1 * m2) / d^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and d is the distance between them.

3. What are the units for net gravitational force?

The units for net gravitational force are Newtons (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s^2.

4. How does the distance between objects affect the net gravitational force?

The net gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between objects. This means that as the distance between objects increases, the net gravitational force decreases.

5. What is the significance of net gravitational problems in the field of physics?

Net gravitational problems are important in understanding the behavior of objects in the universe. They help explain phenomena such as the orbits of planets, the formation of galaxies, and the motion of celestial bodies. They also play a crucial role in fields such as astrophysics and astronomy.