Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A new Method of Differentiation (PURE ALGEBRA), what do you think?

1. Mar 23, 2012 #1
    I have discovered this new method. It is a little harder mechanics than normal Calculus, but it is still a new method which I searched that Internet and many other mathematics text books for it but I did find nothing. I want to contact a math Proff about this, I have tried to Contact Two Stanford Proffs and One Mit Proff, but they didn't answer. That is an Example to find the derivative of a third degree polynomial. http://imgur.com/8ScTv

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2
    interesting :D
    you'd expect it to give the slope because differentiating polynomials reduces the power
    thanks

4. Mar 23, 2012 #3
    It is a little bit more math than this but simply true

5. Mar 23, 2012 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So.... what is the benefit of this over using the power rule? Is there some theoretical underpinning which is not mentioned?

6. Mar 23, 2012 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks like a back-to-front way of creating a Taylor series for the polynomial and then taking the derivative from that.

But it's a lot more work than the "standard" method IMO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook