A New Way to Make Fusion Reactors More Efficient

In summary, the conversation discusses the technology of fusion and its progress towards actual deployment. The Department of Energy's Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory has developed a method to determine the efficiency loss in tokamaks. The article mentioned also explores the topic of fusion and its potential for increasing efficiency. The conversation suggests doing a forum search for more information on the topic.
NoLifeLine
I am quite new to this site. I have been following this technology (fusion) for many years now. It never seems to be any closer to actual deployment. Do you think we are getting closer? What do you think are the major stumbling blocks? The article below I read today. My understanding is that efficiency is a key failing currently.

Department of Energy’s (DOE) Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL) has devised a method of determining how much interaction between waves and particles contributes to the efficiency loss in tokamaks.

https://www.nowscience.co.uk/single-post/2019/01/21/Scientists-Find-a-New-Way-to-Make-Fusion-Reactors-More-Efficient

Physics news on Phys.org
The topic has been discussed here quite a bit. I suggest a forum search

Likes berkeman
Scientists were confident ITER will produce a net energy output even before this work - it can only make it better. We'll see how much. In the most likely case we get something that reduces losses a bit in some cases. Nice, but doesn't change the overall picture.

phinds said:
The topic has been discussed here quite a bit. I suggest a forum search

Yes I probably should have. However I had just joined and wanted to dive straight in. Thank you for the reply.

NoLifeLine said:
Yes I probably should have. However I had just joined and wanted to dive straight in. Thank you for the reply.
Doing a forum search IS diving straight in. It is the first thing you should always do when you have a question that likely has already been discussed (and that's JUST about everything, given how extensive PF is)

1. What is fusion and why is it important?

Fusion is the process of combining two atomic nuclei to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy. It is important because it is the same process that powers the sun and other stars, and it has the potential to provide clean, safe, and virtually limitless energy here on Earth.

2. How does the new method for making fusion reactors more efficient work?

The new method involves using a combination of magnetic fields and lasers to compress and heat the fuel, creating conditions similar to those found in the core of the sun. This allows for a more efficient and controlled fusion reaction.

3. What are the benefits of this new method?

This new method could potentially make fusion reactors smaller, cheaper, and more efficient, making fusion energy more accessible and practical. It could also reduce the amount of radioactive waste produced compared to traditional fusion methods.

4. What challenges still need to be overcome before this method can be implemented?

There are several challenges that still need to be addressed, such as finding materials that can withstand the extreme conditions inside a fusion reactor and developing more powerful and efficient lasers. Additionally, more research and testing is needed to ensure the safety and viability of this method.

5. When can we expect to see this new method being used in practical fusion reactors?

It is difficult to predict an exact timeline, as there are still many challenges to overcome and further research and testing is needed. However, some experts estimate that it could be within the next 10-20 years before this method is fully implemented in practical fusion reactors.