A New Way to Make Fusion Reactors More Efficient

I am quite new to this site. I have been following this technology (fusion) for many years now. It never seems to be any closer to actual deployment. Do you think we are getting closer? What do you think are the major stumbling blocks? The article below I read today. My understanding is that efficiency is a key failing currently.

Department of Energy’s (DOE) Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL) has devised a method of determining how much interaction between waves and particles contributes to the efficiency loss in tokamaks.

https://www.nowscience.co.uk/single...ew-Way-to-Make-Fusion-Reactors-More-Efficient

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
The topic has been discussed here quite a bit. I suggest a forum search

Likes berkeman
Scientists were confident ITER will produce a net energy output even before this work - it can only make it better. We'll see how much. In the most likely case we get something that reduces losses a bit in some cases. Nice, but doesn't change the overall picture.

The topic has been discussed here quite a bit. I suggest a forum search
Yes I probably should have. However I had just joined and wanted to dive straight in. Thank you for the reply.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Yes I probably should have. However I had just joined and wanted to dive straight in. Thank you for the reply.
Doing a forum search IS diving straight in. It is the first thing you should always do when you have a question that likely has already been discussed (and that's JUST about everything, given how extensive PF is)