1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I A nonlinear equation system

1. Mar 20, 2016 #1
    I'm trying to find a closed form (an algebraic solution) for the following system:

x² - y² = 5
    x + y = xy

It's a bit tricky but I manage to end up with the quartic equation:
    x^4 - 2x^3 + 5x^2 -10x + 5 =0
    And this is where I get stuck looking for a closed form root.
    Any suggestion would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2016 #2
    trial and error of synthetic division.

4. Mar 21, 2016 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You won't find any integer or rational solutions. The general solution to a fourth degree equation is pretty daunting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartic_function

This particular equation has two real and a pair of complex-conjugate roots.

BTW, I checked your algebra in reducing your system of equations to one equation in x. I think you have some mistakes there, since I don't obtain your particular quartic equation.

In any event, the resulting quartic still has two real and a pair of complex-conjugate solutions, none of which are nice integers or rationals.

I used Wolfram Alpha to solve for the roots. It's much easier than anything else.

5. Mar 21, 2016 #4
    Indeed, the right resulting quartic equation is x^4 - 2x^3 - 5x^2 -10x - 5 =0. I used Cardano and Lagrange method to find the real roots, but their form is very ugly.
    Actually I got this equation while trying to solve a simple geometrical problem. I'll post it today on a new thread, I'm interested in finding a simpler method to solving it since mine leads to a quartic equation.

Thanks for the contribution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted