A pair of oppositely charged, parallel plates are separated

In summary, after a interval of 1.92x10^12 seconds, the proton and electron will have crossed paths. The electron will have reached the negative plate at 5.31x10^-9 seconds after it was released and the proton will have reached the negative plate at 1.92x10^12 seconds after it was released.
lilkidyea

Homework Statement

A pair of oppositely charged, parallel plates are separated by a distance of 5.0 cm with a potential difference of 500 V between the plates. A proton is released from rest at the positive plate, and at the same time an electron is released at the negative plate. Neglect any interaction between the proton and the electron.
a. After what interval will their paths cross?
b. How fast will each particle be going when their paths cross?
c. At what time will the electron reach the opposite plate?
d. At what time will the proton reach the opposite plate?

Homework Equations

I seriously don't know there are soo many equations but these will probably do the job:
E=Fe/Q
E=k q/r2
Sum of all forces=ma
d=vit+1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start. I honestly I tried using E=k q/r2 then find Fe with E=Fe/Q and use sum of all forces but then I took into account that both the positive plate and negative plate were acting on either proton or electron at the same time and from there I got completely lost

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi lilkidyea, welcome to PF.
Proton and electron has the same charge but different mass. So they have different acceleration. Find their accelerations. Then using kinematic equations find the remaining results.

So uh for a this is what I've done:
V=ed
500=E(.05)
E=10000
E=Fe/Q
Fe=10000*1.602x10^-19
Fe=1.602x10^-15
sum of all forces=ma
proton:
2x(1.602x10^-15)=(1.67x10^-27)a
a=1.92x10^12 m/s^2
at this point I just went completely Wahh?! because my acceleration is just HUGE so I must have done something wrong

Last edited:
E=Fe/Q
So Fe = ...?

So with that I did D=vit+1/2at^2
.05=0+1/2(1.92x10^12)t^2
t=2.28x10^-7 for d. Is this right?

for electron:
sum of all forces=ma
2(1.62x10^-15)=(9.12x10^-31)a
a=3.55x10^15
d=vit+1/2at^2
.05=0+.5(3.55x10^15)t^2
t=5.31x10^-9 for c. Is this right?

but with this I still don't know how to find the ans or a or b

Why there is a factor 2 in the beginning?
For (a), if they cross each other at a distance x from one of the plates, then
x = 1/2*a1*t^2
d-x = 1/2*a2*t^2.
Solve these equations to fine x and t.

rl.bhat said:
Why there is a factor 2 in the beginning?
well I figured since the positive plate is pushing and the negative plate is pulling on the same proton I multiplied the magnitude by 2

1. What is the purpose of using parallel plates in this experiment?

The purpose of using parallel plates in this experiment is to create a uniform electric field between the plates. This allows for easier measurement and analysis of the electric field.

2. How are the plates charged in this experiment?

The plates are charged by connecting them to a power source, such as a battery, through wires. One plate is connected to the positive end of the power source, while the other plate is connected to the negative end.

3. What is the distance between the parallel plates?

The distance between the parallel plates is typically measured in centimeters or meters. The exact distance may vary depending on the specific experiment being conducted.

4. How does the distance between the plates affect the electric field?

The electric field between the plates is directly proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation E = V/d, where E is the electric field, V is the voltage, and d is the distance between the plates.

5. What is the significance of using oppositely charged plates?

The use of oppositely charged plates creates an electric field between them, which allows for the study of electric potential and other properties of the electric field. This configuration is also commonly used in devices such as capacitors and parallel plate capacitors.