1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A A pasting lemma counterexample (of sorts)

1. Dec 12, 2016 #1
    From the pasting lemma we have that if ## X = A \cup B ## and ##f: A \rightarrow Y ## and ## g: A \rightarrow Y## are continuous functions that coincide on ## A \cup B ##, they combine to give a continuous function ## h: X \rightarrow Y ## s.t. ## h(x) = f(x) ## for ## x \in A ## and ## h(x) = f(g) ## for ## x \in B ##, so long as both ## A ## and ## B## are both open or closed.

But what if ##A## is open and ##B## is closed? This should not work. My reasoning is that, if it worked, then the pasting lemma would already say so! But this obviously does not constitute a proof or counterexample. I think it shouldn't be difficult, but I am missing something. The "obvious" choice was to take ##A## and ##B## as complements, but I am not sure how to show a lack of continuity. The intersection is empty, so the functions agree on that. Another example?

I feel like this should be very easy or obvious. A nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

-Dave K

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

With complementary sets ##A,B## one could define ##f: (-\infty,0) \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## by ##1/x## and ##g: [0,+\infty) \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## by ##g(x)=0##. It would be more interesting / challenging to find an example with ##A \cap B \neq \emptyset##.

4. Dec 12, 2016 #3
    Indeed it would. This works for the time being or at least gets me started. I think my mental block was that the functions I was coming up with were all onto their domain even though there is no good reason for this. Thanks.

5. Dec 12, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

In case you find an example with overlapping domains, please post it. I'm curious now. (And confident, that there are some - I mean it's topology, isn't it?)

6. Dec 12, 2016 #5
    Will do.

7. Dec 17, 2016 #6
    You can overlap the domains away from the problem points. Let [itex]X=S^1[/itex]. The usual angle function [itex]S^1\to [0,2\pi)[/itex] is of course discontinuous. But it continuous when restricted to the arc consisting of points with angles in [itex][0,\pi][/itex] and also to the arc of points with angles in [itex](\pi/2,2\pi)[/itex] (notice that the first arc is a closed subset of [itex]S^1[/itex] and the second is a open).

Edit: One could also have just enlarged the domain of your functions, so that, for example, [itex]f[/itex] is also defined on [itex](0,1)[/itex] and is zero here. But my example still holds if you want [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] to be connected.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted