Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A A pasting lemma counterexample (of sorts)

1. Dec 12, 2016 #1
    From the pasting lemma we have that if ## X = A \cup B ## and ##f: A \rightarrow Y ## and ## g: A \rightarrow Y## are continuous functions that coincide on ## A \cup B ##, they combine to give a continuous function ## h: X \rightarrow Y ## s.t. ## h(x) = f(x) ## for ## x \in A ## and ## h(x) = f(g) ## for ## x \in B ##, so long as both ## A ## and ## B## are both open or closed.

But what if ##A## is open and ##B## is closed? This should not work. My reasoning is that, if it worked, then the pasting lemma would already say so! But this obviously does not constitute a proof or counterexample. I think it shouldn't be difficult, but I am missing something. The "obvious" choice was to take ##A## and ##B## as complements, but I am not sure how to show a lack of continuity. The intersection is empty, so the functions agree on that. Another example?

I feel like this should be very easy or obvious. A nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

-Dave K

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

With complementary sets ##A,B## one could define ##f: (-\infty,0) \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## by ##1/x## and ##g: [0,+\infty) \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## by ##g(x)=0##. It would be more interesting / challenging to find an example with ##A \cap B \neq \emptyset##.

4. Dec 12, 2016 #3
    Indeed it would. This works for the time being or at least gets me started. I think my mental block was that the functions I was coming up with were all onto their domain even though there is no good reason for this. Thanks.

5. Dec 12, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

In case you find an example with overlapping domains, please post it. I'm curious now. (And confident, that there are some - I mean it's topology, isn't it?)

6. Dec 12, 2016 #5
    Will do.

7. Dec 17, 2016 #6
    You can overlap the domains away from the problem points. Let [itex]X=S^1[/itex]. The usual angle function [itex]S^1\to [0,2\pi)[/itex] is of course discontinuous. But it continuous when restricted to the arc consisting of points with angles in [itex][0,\pi][/itex] and also to the arc of points with angles in [itex](\pi/2,2\pi)[/itex] (notice that the first arc is a closed subset of [itex]S^1[/itex] and the second is a open).

Edit: One could also have just enlarged the domain of your functions, so that, for example, [itex]f[/itex] is also defined on [itex](0,1)[/itex] and is zero here. But my example still holds if you want [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] to be connected.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  8. Feb 8, 2017 #7
    Consider the functions ##f : (-\infty, 0]\cup\{1\} \rightarrow \mathbb{R} ##, defined by ##f(x)=1## and ##g: (0,\infty) \rightarrow \mathbb{R}##, defined by ##g(x)=x##.

9. Feb 10, 2017 #8
    Hey, I hadn't realized there were new posts on this thread. Thank you @Infrared and @Mayaka Ibara . I will check them out later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted