A pharmacist wants to be a physicist

• Thread starter charming86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary: A BS in physics is a two-year degree that most colleges require for graduate school. A BA in physics is a one-year degree that is sometimes required for graduate school.
charming86
Hi guys,
I really need ur help. I know nothing about physics universities, adminstration tests, scholar ships, and stuffs like that.
I'm from Lebanon and studying pharmacy.Yes pharmacy, i know it has nothing to do with physics, but simply i hate pharmacy:cry: and obsessed about physics:!) , being a physicist is my biggest dream.
I still have 2 years to finish pharmacy and i want to know if there are things i can do on my own in the mean time that can help me in the future. I don't know, maybe preparations for certain tests.
another question: can I take a Phd in one of the physics domains without having a BA in physics?
Please answer my questions if u can.
This means a lot to me.
thanks a heap.o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
You will have an uphill battle. I don't know what the requirements are where you live. However, if you want to compare your ability with what is expected in US institutions, then you may want to read this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

Zz.

thanks ZapperZ,
your thread helped a lot.
I'll try the tests.

I suggest you drop out of your pharmacy program and begin working on a BS in physics instead. It is essentially impossible to get a position in graduate school, studying physics, with nothing more than self-study.

- Warren

what do u mean by impossible? u mean no one has ever succeeded in that depending on self-study? frankly, ur post frustrated me some how, so please be precise.I can't drop out,not now.

I didn't say it was impossible -- I said it was essentially impossible. I cannot say that no self-taught student has ever been accepted to a physics graduate program, but it's certainly an extremely rare event.

If you're such a genius that you can achieve a truly stellar score on the Physics GRE, you will likely get strong consideration for graduate admission even if no one has ever heard of you. The difficulty, of course, is getting a stellar score without any formal training. I suggest that you get some copies of previous GRE Physics exams, and get a feel for the level of competency they demand.

Your best bet, if you must finish your pharmacy degree, is to continue in school for an additional year or two, studying physics in a formal environment. Go ahead and apply for graduate school once you have some formal training in the subject.

- Warren

thanks,I really appreciate ur help.
I already have some physics GRE copies and I'm pretty sure they demand a high level competency.
I'll try my best.

I want to know the difference between BA and BS in physics,please.
I usually try to find answers to such silly questions by my own, but it came to my mind that maybe having the answers from persons directly is better and easier.thanks.

i found the answer to that last questions, thanks anyway

What is the difference between a pharmacist and a physicist?

A pharmacist is a healthcare professional who specializes in the safe and effective use of medications, while a physicist is a scientist who studies the properties of matter and energy.

Why would a pharmacist want to become a physicist?

There are many potential reasons why a pharmacist may want to transition into a career as a physicist. Some possible reasons may include a passion for scientific research, a desire to work in a more theoretical field, or a personal interest in physics.

What skills and qualifications does a pharmacist need to become a physicist?

In order to become a physicist, a pharmacist would need to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. They would also need to pursue further education, such as a graduate degree in physics or a related field, and gain experience in conducting scientific research.

What are the career opportunities for a pharmacist-turned-physicist?

There are a variety of career opportunities available for someone with a background in both pharmacy and physics. They may be able to work in fields such as medical physics, biophysics, or pharmaceutical research and development.

Is it common for pharmacists to switch careers and become physicists?

While it is not as common as other career transitions, such as a chemist becoming a physicist, it is not unheard of for pharmacists to switch careers and become physicists. This may be more common for those who have a strong interest and background in physics prior to pursuing pharmacy as a career.