1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math prerequistes for pharmacist to understand relativity

1. Aug 16, 2011 #1
    I know someone posted something similar before. However, that person definitely has taken some advanced math classes before.
    I am a biology/pharmacy major and I want to teach myself relativity. The most difficult math and physic classes I have taken are calculus 3 and physical chemistry respectively.
    I am currently reading "Linear algebra and its applications by David C lay"
    Can someone make up a list of books I need to read in order to understand relativity? How long will it take to read and understand all the prerequisites?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2011 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As far as understanding Special Relativity goes, you should have the necessary math if you've got Calc 1 and Linear Algebra.

For General Relativity, the mathematical language is that of differential geometry and advanced linear algebra (tensor algebra). But I believe the typical student of GR picks up these topics as he studies the physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook