A Physicist trapped in Electrical Engineering needs help

In summary, Wadood, you should consider switching your major to physics. This will help you to develop your theoretical skills and pursue interests in modern physics topics. There is still time to make this decision, and your parents shouldn't be the one who determines your fate.
Abdul Wadood
I am a first year Electronics Engineering major but desperately wanted to do a Physics major(my parents said no because of less money in Physics). My mind works theoretically and is averse to technology. I wanted guidance on hohw can I preserve my 'Physics spark'?Especially how to study Physics myself when I am studying in an all-engineering college. I want to work in Quantum Gravity, Philosophy and Mathematics( big ambitions), but how should i develop my foundation when EE is far away from these topics? I am nowadays searching for research projects that intersect EE,theoretical (quantum) Physics and Mathematics(not semiconductors!). Any four-year program for me?
I would be highly grateful to you.

Physics news on Phys.org
you literally need to change your major and deal with the consequences. . .

Which physics courses have you taken so far to make you so certain that physics is the area you wish to pursue? If you are only in your first year of engineering, you're likely still taking the same courses as Physics majors, mainly the calculus sequences, chemistry, first sequence in calculus-based physics.

From your post, it appears you have interest in modern physics topics, which is usually a 3rd or 4th course in physics. There shouldn't be any time pressure until the end of your 2nd year, which you should still be able to comfortably switch over to Physics if you end up enjoying that side more. You'll move onto higher level Electricity & Magnetism, a more thorough course of Modern Physics, some Quantum Mechanics, Statistical Mechanics.

Another route is checking out the electronics engineering department at your school. Perhaps they have a specialization in microelectronic circuits/processing or solid state electronics? Solid State Electronics applies knowledge in quantum mechanics, which might be of interest to you.

Of course there's the question of whether you want to be a scientist or an engineer. Just don't forget that they're not exclusive fields: an engineer might also stumble upon some new natural phenomenon while manipulating things, and consequently overlaps with some science. Likewise, as a scientist, in particular an experimentalist type, you might end up designing cool things and end up applying some engineering concepts.

You're in your 1st year; you still have time. In any case, the decision is yours to make, and shouldn't be your parents.

Just imagine the chaos if nobody chose the path they were interested in (and consequently the path they're more likely to excel at), and just chose a path that others dictated...the quality of this world would certainly be at stake.

Abdul Wadood said:
... but how should i develop my foundation when EE is far away from these topics? I am nowadays searching for research projects that intersect EE,theoretical (quantum) Physics and Mathematics(not semiconductors!). Any four-year program for me?
I would be highly grateful to you.

Perhaps quantum computation?

Astor, I don't think Wadood is studying in the USA, in which case, transferring to another major might be a little difficult.

Wadood, you might have to start again, this time, in a physics program. It wouldn't hurt to ask your university if they'd allow you to shift, though.

Abdul Wadood said:
My mind works theoretically and is averse to technology.

That doesn't sound so great...

gnulinger said:
That doesn't sound so great...

MTE, also, abdul, drop the philosophy stuff and focus on the physics and maths... way more gratifying

1. How can a physicist apply their knowledge to an electrical engineering problem?

A physicist can use their understanding of fundamental principles, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics, to analyze and solve problems in electrical engineering. They can also use their mathematical and analytical skills to model and simulate complex systems.

2. What are some common challenges faced by a physicist in the field of electrical engineering?

One challenge is adapting to the different terminology and conventions used in electrical engineering, as well as understanding the practical limitations and constraints of engineering projects. Another challenge is learning how to work with electronic components and equipment, which may be unfamiliar to a physicist.

3. Are there any specific areas of electrical engineering where a physicist's expertise is particularly useful?

Yes, a physicist's knowledge of optics and photonics can be applied in areas such as fiber optics and laser technology. They may also have a strong understanding of semiconductors and solid-state devices, making them well-suited for roles in the semiconductor industry.

4. How can a physicist stay current with advancements in electrical engineering?

A physicist can attend conferences and workshops, read scientific journals and publications, and participate in online forums and discussions to stay updated on the latest developments in electrical engineering. They can also collaborate with engineers and attend seminars to learn about new techniques and technologies.

5. What are some potential career paths for a physicist in the field of electrical engineering?

A physicist can work in research and development, product design, or testing and analysis roles in industries such as telecommunications, renewable energy, or microelectronics. They may also pursue a career in academia, teaching and conducting research in electrical engineering departments.