1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A physics degree,specifically for astronomy?

1. Jun 9, 2012 #1
    Hi my name is TJ, friends call me Muzzy, and I'm a programmer. I love programming. I love physics, but my knowledge of physics is well.... very bad lol. I don't really plan to start a career somewhere as a physicist, but I want to learn it for my own research involving astronomy. I'm fascinated with astronomy and want to understand more about the universe through physics and also implement it in computer programs/simulations.

I'm not looking for an online course, I really want to be on campus, because as much as I wish I could, I can't learn complex things just by reading about it.

I've looked online, there are so many different places to go, I don't know which to pick. Should I go to a school that teaches astronomy? or does it matter?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey Muzzy A and welcome to the forums.

You might want to tell us where you reside so that you can get more specific suggestions.

4. Jun 9, 2012 #3
    I'm in florida right now attending Full Sail University for game development. I'll be graduating pretty soon and want to further my education from there. I'm open to any place, there's no specific area i'm looking for. I'm just looking for the best possible school to go to for what I'm interested in.

EDIT:
    I've taken a small amount of linear algebra,calculus, and physics. Basically enough to make game physics seem real.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  5. Jun 9, 2012 #4
    We have specific Astronomy degrees here in the Netherlands, although that might just be a little too far from home for your taste. :wink:

6. Jun 9, 2012 #5
    Yeah, i guess i could have said U.S. only lol. I don't want to leave my country for it. :P

7. Jun 9, 2012 #6

eri

It sounds like you're talking about getting a job in astronomy research. Is that the case? If so, you'd need to go earn a bachelors in physics and then apply to graduate programs in astronomy. You're not currently qualified to apply to grad schools in astronomy; astronomy is a sub-field of physics, and you will be taking graduate level physics courses to earn a PhD in astronomy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook