A physics degree,specifically for astronomy?

In summary, Muzzy A is a programmer with a love for physics and astronomy. They do not plan to pursue a career as a physicist, but want to learn more about it for their own research involving astronomy. They are looking for a school to further their education, preferably in the US, that offers courses in astronomy. They have some background in linear algebra, calculus, and physics, but not enough to pursue a graduate program in astronomy.
Muzzy A
Hi my name is TJ, friends call me Muzzy, and I'm a programmer. I love programming. I love physics, but my knowledge of physics is well... very bad lol. I don't really plan to start a career somewhere as a physicist, but I want to learn it for my own research involving astronomy. I'm fascinated with astronomy and want to understand more about the universe through physics and also implement it in computer programs/simulations.

I'm not looking for an online course, I really want to be on campus, because as much as I wish I could, I can't learn complex things just by reading about it.

I've looked online, there are so many different places to go, I don't know which to pick. Should I go to a school that teaches astronomy? or does it matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Muzzy A and welcome to the forums.

You might want to tell us where you reside so that you can get more specific suggestions.

I'm in florida right now attending Full Sail University for game development. I'll be graduating pretty soon and want to further my education from there. I'm open to any place, there's no specific area I'm looking for. I'm just looking for the best possible school to go to for what I'm interested in.

EDIT:
I've taken a small amount of linear algebra,calculus, and physics. Basically enough to make game physics seem real.

Last edited:
Muzzy A said:
I'm open to any place

We have specific Astronomy degrees here in the Netherlands, although that might just be a little too far from home for your taste. :wink:

Yeah, i guess i could have said U.S. only lol. I don't want to leave my country for it. :P

It sounds like you're talking about getting a job in astronomy research. Is that the case? If so, you'd need to go earn a bachelors in physics and then apply to graduate programs in astronomy. You're not currently qualified to apply to grad schools in astronomy; astronomy is a sub-field of physics, and you will be taking graduate level physics courses to earn a PhD in astronomy.

1. What is a physics degree with a specialization in astronomy?

A physics degree with a specialization in astronomy is a program that focuses on the principles and theories of physics as they apply to the study of celestial objects such as planets, stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. It combines the study of physics and astronomy to provide a comprehensive understanding of the physical laws that govern the behavior of the universe.

2. What courses are typically included in a physics degree program with a focus on astronomy?

Some common courses in a physics degree program with a focus on astronomy include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, astrophysics, cosmology, and observational techniques. These courses cover topics such as the motion of celestial objects, the behavior of matter and energy in space, and the origins and evolution of the universe.

3. What skills can I gain from a physics degree with a specialization in astronomy?

A physics degree with a specialization in astronomy can help you develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. You will also gain strong mathematical and computational skills, as well as the ability to work with complex data and models. Additionally, you will develop a deep understanding of the physical laws that govern the behavior of the universe, which can be applied to various fields such as research, engineering, and data analysis.

4. What career opportunities are available with a physics degree in astronomy?

Graduates with a physics degree in astronomy can pursue various career paths in the fields of research, education, and industry. Some common job titles include astrophysicist, research scientist, data analyst, science educator, and aerospace engineer. These professionals can work in government agencies, research institutions, universities, observatories, and private companies.

5. How does a physics degree in astronomy prepare students for graduate studies?

A physics degree with a focus on astronomy provides a strong foundation in the principles and theories of physics, which is essential for pursuing graduate studies in the field. Students will gain hands-on experience with advanced research techniques and equipment, as well as the opportunity to work on research projects with faculty members. This prepares them for the rigorous demands of graduate studies and equips them with the skills and knowledge needed to conduct independent research in astronomy.