1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A point charge Q is located on axis.Find flux

1. Oct 15, 2013 #1
    A point charge Q is located on the axis of a disk of radius R at a distance b from the plane of the disk Show that if one fourth of the electric flux from the charge passes through the disk, then R= √3 b

I have looked it through all angles possible for me but it seems to evade me. Got this solution here http://www.askiitians.com/forums/Electrostatics/13/7495/electrostatics.htm

3. Looking at the above solution...i looked at the figure and thought that it was a cone so electric flux through the disc is area of cone * electrif field. But still i get no answer.In the above page it says that " flux throug a segment " is known and the formula is given but i dont know the derivation of that formula. Can someone help me out?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The electric flux through a surface is defined by
    [tex]\Phi_S=\int_S \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F} \cdot \vec{E}.[/tex]
    Now given the fact that everywhere except at the charge's loacation you have
    [tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=0,[/tex]
    you can argue (do it!) that you can evaluate the flux through a part of a spherical shell which combines with the disk to a closed surface. Then it's very easy to evaluate this flux.

Hint: You don't even need to solve an integral but only need the area of the spherical surface!

4. Oct 15, 2013 #3
    The right question i should ask is that how to calculate the flux when it makes theta at center?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted