1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A point source isotropically emitting 10^8 fast nuetrons

1. Aug 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A point source isotropically emitting 10^8 fast nuetrons per second falls out of its shield onto a railroad platform 3 m horizontally from the track. A train goes by at 60 mph. Ignoring scattering and attenuation, what is the fluence of nuetrons that would strike a passenger at the same height above the track as the source?

2. Relevant equation
    Fluence=dN/da

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know you need to write the distance to the train as a function of velocity and time. This can be done by having r^2=9+v^2*t^2. If the person in exactly across from the point source at t=0. I know I need to integrate this equation over some dt from -infinity to infinity but I'm confused as to what integral this goes into.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2016 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Maybe you can consider the passenger moving radially away from the point source?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted