Fluence rate of gamma source - getting two different answers

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the particle fluence rate of a 1 meter long uniform line source of high energy photons emitting 10^7 photons/sec, at a point 1m away from the midpoint of the source. Two different methods of solving the problem are presented, one using the pythagorean theorem and the other integrating over the angle. However, there is a discrepancy in the results obtained from the two methods, with the second method resulting in a fluence rate of 0. After further discussion, it is determined that the first method using the pythagorean theorem is the correct approach, and the error in the second method is due to an incorrect substitution.
Hercuflea

Homework Statement

A 1 meter long uniform line source of high energy photons emits 10^7 photons /sec. Calculate the particle fluence rate (flux density) at a point P 1m away from the midpoint of the source.

Homework Equations

## dN = number~of~particles ##
## da = differential~area##
##\Phi = fluence = \frac{dN}{da}##
##\phi = fluence~rate = \frac{d\Phi}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt} \frac{dN}{da} = \frac {\frac{dN}{dt}}{da}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to solve the problem two different ways, and I get 2 different answers.
Define the origin (0,0) to be the location of the point P. Define the rod source such that it's endpoints lie at ##(1,-\frac{1}{2})## and ## (1, \frac{1}{2})##.

1st method: I integrated using the pythagorean theorem and I got

$$ r = \sqrt{y^{2} + 1^{2}}$$
$$ \phi = \int {\frac{10^7}{4\pi r^{2}}} dr $$
$$ = \int_{-\frac{1}{2}}^{\frac{1}{2}} \frac{10^7}{4\pi (\sqrt{y^2+1})^2} dy\ $$
$$ = \frac{10^7}{4\pi} \int_{-\frac{1}{2}}^{\frac{1}{2}} \frac {1}{y^2+1} dy\ $$
$$ = \frac{10^7}{4 \pi} (arctan(y)) $$ from -0.5 to 0.5
$$= \frac{10^7}{4 \pi} (arctan(0.5)-arctan(-0.5)) $$
$$= 7.379 \times 10^5 \frac{photons}{m^2 s} (\frac{1m}{100cm})^2 = 73.79 \frac{photons}{cm^2 s}$$

2nd method:
Since ##rcos(\theta) = 1 ## always, I solved for ##r## in terms of ##\theta## and I got
$$ r = \frac{1}{cos\theta}$$
Also, since ##tan\theta_{max} = \frac{\frac{1}{2}}{1} ## we have ##\theta_{max} = tan^{-1} (0.5)##.

Therefore
$$= \int_{-tan^{-1}(0.5)}^{tan^{-1} (0.5)} \frac{10^7}{4\pi {\frac{1}{cos\theta}}^2} d\theta $$
$$ = \frac{10^7}{4\pi} \int_{-tan^{-1}(0.5)}^{tan^{-1} (0.5)} cos^{2}(\theta) d\theta $$
$$ = \frac{10^7}{4\pi} \frac{1}{2} (\theta + \frac{1}{2} sin(2\theta)) $$ from ##-tan^{-1}(0.5)## to ##tan^{-1}(0.5)##
$$=\frac{10^7}{8\pi} (tan^{-1}(0.5)-(-tan^{-1}(0.5)) + \frac{1}{2} (sin(2tan^{-1}(0.5))-sin(-2tan^{-1}(0.5))))$$
$$ = 6.87 \times 10^5 \frac {photons}{m^2 s}(\frac{1m}{100cm})^2 = 68.7\frac {photons}{cm^2 s} $$

Why do the two methods give different answers? I am integrating over the same geometric object...only one way I am using the angle and the other way I am using the vertical component of r. Which method is correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the substitution in the second method is missing something when you go from ##dr## to ##d\theta##.

Thank you for catching that.

Now that I have fixed that, I'm just getting 0.

$$r= \frac 1 {cos\theta} = sec\theta$$
$$dr = sec\theta tan\theta d\theta$$
$$ \phi = \frac {10^7} {4\pi} \int_{-arctan(0.5)}^{arctan(0.5)} \frac {sec\theta tan\theta}{(\frac {1}{cos\theta})^2} d\theta $$
$$=\frac {10^7} {4\pi} \int_{-arctan(0.5)}^{arctan(0.5)} \frac {tan\theta}{sec \theta} d\theta $$
$$=\frac {10^7} {4\pi} \int_{-arctan(0.5)}^{arctan(0.5)} sin\theta d\theta $$
$$=\frac {10^7} {4\pi} (0) = 0 $$

If I divide the bounds of integration by 2 and multiply the integral by 2 i get:
$$ \phi = \frac {10^7} {4\pi} 2\int_{0}^{arctan(0.5)} \frac {sec\theta tan\theta}{(\frac {1}{cos\theta})^2} d\theta $$
$$=\frac {10^7} {2\pi} \int_{0}^{arctan(0.5)} \frac {tan\theta}{sec \theta} d\theta $$
$$=\frac {10^7} {2\pi} \int_{0}^{arctan(0.5)} sin\theta d\theta $$
$$=\frac {10^7} {2\pi} (-cos(arctan(0.5))-(-cos0)) = -1.7 \times 10^5 $$
?

Hercuflea said:
Should ##dr## actually be ##dy##?

TSny said:
Should ##dr## actually be ##dy##?
In the pythagorean theorem method, yes. But I'm trying to do it by integrating over the angle and get the same result as that.

For the method of integrating over the angle, you will need to decide which of the following is the correct expression to start with:
$$ \phi = \int {\frac{10^7}{4\pi r^{2}}} dr $$ $$ \phi = \int {\frac{10^7}{4\pi r^{2}}} dy $$

TSny said:
For the method of integrating over the angle, you will need to decide which of the following is the correct expression to start with:
$$ \phi = \int {\frac{10^7}{4\pi r^{2}}} dr $$ $$ \phi = \int {\frac{10^7}{4\pi r^{2}}} dy $$

##r## is a function of ##y##

$$y = rsin\theta$$
$$r = \frac {y}{sin\theta}$$
$$dr = d(\frac{y}{sin\theta})$$ = ?

If I choose the second integral I just get a circular argument when I try to get the whole thing in terms of ##\theta##...
$$ \phi = \int_{-.5}^{.5} \frac{10^7}{4\pi (\frac{y}{sin\theta})^2} dy$$
$$=\frac{10^7}{4\pi} \int_{-.5}^{.5} (\frac{sin^2 \theta}{y^2}) dy$$

but since ##y=rsin\theta##
$$=\frac{10^7}{4\pi} \int_{-.5}^{.5} (\frac{sin^2 \theta}{(rsin\theta)^2}) dy$$
$$=\frac{10^7}{4\pi} \int_{-.5}^{.5} (\frac{1}{r^2}) dy$$

Have you decided which of the two integrals is the correct starting integral? ## \phi = \int {\frac{10^7}{4\pi r^{2}}} dr ## or ## \phi = \int {\frac{10^7}{4\pi r^{2}}} dy ##?

If the second integral is the correct integral, then you need to express ##r## and ##dy## in terms of ##\theta## and ##d\theta## if you want to integrate over ##\theta##.

To relate ##dy## to ##d\theta##, then ##y = rsin\theta## is not a good relation to use. That's because ##y = rsin\theta## relates three variables. Can you relate ##y## to ##\theta## without using a third variable. (Try a different trig function.)

(You already found a nice way to relate ##r## to ##\theta## in your first attempt at integrating over ##\theta##.)

TSny said:
Have you decided which of the two integrals is the correct starting integral? ## \phi = \int {\frac{10^7}{4\pi r^{2}}} dr ## or ## \phi = \int {\frac{10^7}{4\pi r^{2}}} dy ##?

If the second integral is the correct integral, then you need to express ##r## and ##dy## in terms of ##\theta## and ##d\theta## if you want to integrate over ##\theta##.

To relate ##dy## to ##d\theta##, then ##y = rsin\theta## is not a good relation to use. That's because ##y = rsin\theta## relates three variables. Can you relate ##y## to ##\theta## without using a third variable. (Try a different trig function.)

(You already found a nice way to relate ##r## to ##\theta## in your first attempt at integrating over ##\theta##.)
I see what you mean now. Yes, I think the integral with dy is correct because the differential length we are integrating over is along the rod, not along the radius.

$$\frac{y}{1} = tan\theta$$
$$dy = sec^2 \theta d\theta$$
$$\phi = \frac{10^7}{4\pi} \int_{-.5}^{.5} \frac{1}{r^2} dy$$
$$= \frac{10^7}{4\pi} \int_{-arctan(.5)}^{arctan(.5)} \frac{sec^2\theta}{(\frac{1}{cos\theta})^2} d\theta$$
$$=\frac{10^7}{4\pi} \int_{-arctan(.5)}^{arctan(.5)} cos^2 \theta sec^2 \theta d\theta$$

wolfram alpha...
$$=7.3792 \times10^5 \frac{photons}{m^2 s} (\frac{1m}{100cm})^2 = 73.79 \frac{photons}{cm^2 s}$$

Hercuflea said:
$$= \frac{10^7}{4\pi} \int_{-arctan(.5)}^{arctan(.5)} \frac{sec^2\theta}{(\frac{1}{cos\theta})^2} d\theta$$
$$=\frac{10^7}{4\pi} \int_{-arctan(.5)}^{arctan(.5)} sec^4 \theta d\theta$$
Check your work in going from the first line above to the second line.

Likes Hercuflea
TSny said:
Check your work in going from the first line above to the second line.
Yes! Thank you! I edited the post.

OK, good work. ##\; \; \cos^2\theta \sec^2\theta = 1##.

Yes, as you say, it should be ##dy## instead of ##dr## in the original integral.

1. What is fluence rate and how is it measured?

Fluence rate is the amount of ionizing radiation that passes through a unit area over a unit time. It is typically measured in units of particles per square centimeter per second (particles/cm2/s).

2. Why are there two different answers for the fluence rate of a gamma source?

The fluence rate of a gamma source can vary depending on the method used to measure it. Different measurement techniques may use different assumptions and calculations, resulting in slightly different values.

3. Which answer for the fluence rate should I use?

It is important to specify which measurement technique was used to determine the fluence rate, as this can affect the accuracy and relevance of the value. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide which answer is most appropriate for their specific situation.

4. What factors can influence the fluence rate of a gamma source?

The fluence rate of a gamma source can be influenced by the energy and intensity of the source, as well as the distance from the source and any shielding or other barriers that may be present.

5. Are there any potential errors or uncertainties in measuring the fluence rate of a gamma source?

Like any scientific measurement, there can be errors or uncertainties associated with measuring the fluence rate of a gamma source. These can be due to experimental limitations, variations in measurement techniques, or other factors. It is important to carefully consider and account for these potential sources of error when interpreting fluence rate values.