A pre-med student taking physics needs help

In summary, before starting an algebra based physics class next semester, it would be beneficial to brush up on algebra, trigonometry, and the quadratic formula. It may also be helpful to review vectors before the semester begins. Good luck!
awesome sauce
I'll be taking an algebra based physics class next semester and I've been wondering a few things. The last trig class I've taken was in the fall semester of my senior year in high school and the last real MATH heavy class that I've taken, precalculus, was over a year and a half ago. Are there any mathematical concepts that I should brush up on before I start class in the fall?

Physics news on Phys.org
Algebra based physics is quite simple. Some of the only things you really need to know (Maybe) is the quadratic formula. So just practice factoring, completing the square, quadratic formula. There isn't all that much to it.

Good luck

-F

Brush up on your algebra and trigonometry. Also, I don't know how much you know about vectors or even if your course will cover such a topic but I'd encourage you to prepare yourself for their presence. Do as much review as you can before the semester and you should be alright. Good luck.

1. What are the key concepts that a pre-med student should focus on when taking physics?

As a pre-med student, it is important to understand the fundamentals of physics, including mechanics, energy, electricity and magnetism, and waves. You should also have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Additionally, it is important to understand the application of physics to real-world scenarios, as this will help you in your future medical studies.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics as a pre-med student?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of physics is to practice solving problems. Make sure to attend all lectures, take thorough notes, and ask questions when you are unsure about a concept. You can also form study groups with peers or seek help from a tutor to further enhance your understanding of the subject.

3. How does physics relate to the field of medicine?

Physics plays a crucial role in the field of medicine. It helps us understand how the human body functions, how medical equipment works, and how to diagnose and treat various medical conditions. Concepts such as energy, force, and motion are essential in understanding the functioning of the human body, while principles of physics are used to develop and improve medical technologies such as MRI machines and X-rays.

4. I am struggling with the math involved in physics. What should I do?

If you are struggling with the mathematical aspect of physics, it is important to seek help as soon as possible. Talk to your professor, attend extra help sessions, or seek assistance from a tutor. Practice solving problems and focus on understanding the fundamentals. With time and effort, you will be able to improve your math skills and excel in physics.

5. How can I balance my pre-med studies with the demands of physics?

Balancing pre-med studies with physics can be challenging, but with effective time management and organization, it is possible. Make a study schedule and stick to it, prioritize your workload, and do not be afraid to seek help when needed. Also, make sure to take breaks and engage in activities that help you relax and destress. Remember, a healthy mind and body are essential for success in both pre-med and physics.