A Problem in " Electric Potential "

• Thread starter Ana Mido
  • Start date
Please I want to check my answers of this problem:-
Two charges 4 µc , -6 µc are placed on the x-axis 10 cm apart. where is the electric potential be zero ?

My Answer is:-
"4 cm apart from the charge of 4 µc"
Is that right ?!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Looks right to me!

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Please I want to check my answers of this problem:-
Two charges 4 µc , -6 µc are placed on the x-axis 10 cm apart. where is the electric potential be zero ?

My Answer is:-
"4 cm apart from the charge of 4 µc"
Is that right ?!!!
Hello Ana Mido. Welcome to PF !

Certainly, the point at which the Electric Potential is zero is 4 cm away from the charge of 4 µC , but there may be other points 4 cm away from the charge of 4 µC where the Electric Potential is not zero.

Are you only considering the line on which the two charges lie? ... or some plane in which they lie? ... or three dimensional space?

There may also be some other point (or points) where the Electric Potential is zero .

Hello Ana Mido. Welcome to PF !

Certainly, the point at which the Electric Potential is zero is 4 cm away from the charge of 4 µC , but there may be other points 4 cm away from the charge of 4 µC where the Electric Potential is not zero.

Are you only considering the line on which the two charges lie? ... or some plane in which they lie? ... or three dimensional space?

There may also be some other point (or points) where the Electric Potential is zero .

I've considered the line on which the two charges lie. No plane . No three dimensional space.
But let's consider the line on which the two charges lie. Will the answer be right ??? !!!

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I've considered the line on which the two charges lie. No plane . No three dimensional space.
But let's consider the line on which the two charges lie. Will the answer be right ??? !!!
I'm rather sure that there should be one other location.

By The Way: You haven't actually removed all ambiguity regarding your answer of 4 cm away from the charge of 4 µC. There are two such locations on the line on which both charges lie.

Last edited: