Electric flux through a 1.00 mm hole drilled in a 10.0 cm sphere

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
Pratik007789
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


[/B]
An uncharged nonconductive hollow sphere of radius 10.0 cm surrounds a 20.0 µC charge located at the origin of a cartesian coordinate system. A drill with a radius of 1.00 mm is aligned along the z axis, and a hole is drilled in the sphere. Calculate the electric flux through the hole.

Homework Equations


[/B]
Volume charge distribution = Q/V
Flux = q/ε0 = EA

The Attempt at a Solution


In the picture
But the answer is coming out to be wrong
 
Attachments
  • 1524429793988596558486.jpg
    1524429793988596558486.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 876
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please try to Upload your work again so that it is not sideways? Thanks.

Also, I didn't look at your work yet (since it was sideways), but are the dielectric constant and the thickness of the non-conducting sphere given?
 
I looked at your work and I was able to read it because I have a laptop that I can rotate 90o. Your method is correct, you multiply the total flux Q/ε0 by the ratio of the areas of hole to sphere. The only problem is that the area of the sphere is not πr2. If you use the correct expression for the area, you will be OK.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
kuruman said:
I looked at your work and I was able to read it because I have a laptop that I can rotate 90o. Your method is correct, you multiply the total flux Q/ε0 by the ratio of the areas of hole to sphere. The only problem is that the area of the sphere is not πr2. If you use the correct expression for the area, you will be OK.
But If I we have to ratio at the end then the other terms like 2, π won't cancel out? Any support would be appreciated
 
Pratik007789 said:
But If I we have to ratio at the end then the other terms like 2, π won't cancel out? Any support would be appreciated
Not sure what you mean, but I feel you have not understood kuruman's response. What is the surface area of a sphere radius r? Use that instead of the πr2 that you used.
 
haruspex said:
What is the surface area of a sphere radius r? Use that instead of the πr2 that you used.
Yes, do that and if something cancels out, so be it. You will have a simpler expression to deal with.
 
Thanks guys. Really appreciate your help and support.