A problem invovling Force, Impulse, Velocity and Acceleration

In summary, the satellite is hit by an object and is redirected onto a new path. The impulse required to redirect the satellite is equal to the impulse it would take to keep it moving if it moved at the same speed.
flumbie

Homework Statement

Heres the problem i have been given in Grade 11 Physics for homework (keep in mind that i haven't done calculus yet so don't do anything too tricky):

A satellite of mass 240 kg moving in free space at a velocity of 6000m/s is struck by an unknown object which causes it to be deflected onto a new path at right angles to its original direction of motion in 0.5 s. Find the impulse which acted upon the satellite if it continued to move at the same speed after deflection. Diagramativally show the change in direction that would occur.

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure that the equation Impulse=Force * time or F*t = mass * Acceleration will be in it.
From the word problem i know that:
M= 240kg T= 0.5s and velocity is 6000 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i need to find the acceleration so that i can find the force and then the impulse but I am not sure how to go about that since the speed is the same after the direction as it is at the start
I know that I = F * 0.5 but I am really not sure how to find the Force
I think that ill be able to do the diagram fine but for the rest a hefty shove in the right direction would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well... Impulse is Force *time. But it is also the change in momentum of the object.

So the impulse required to stop the object is equal to its mass time its velocity.

This requires a force acting over a certain period of time.

Breaking the question into 2 parts we can imagine that there are two forces acting, one to stop the object and the other to pushe it off at right angles.

First of all there is the impulse required to stop it. This will be equal in this case to the impulse to get it going again at right angles.

Is this helpful?

Thanks

Yeah, thanks a heap

1. What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

The relationship between force and acceleration is described by Newton's Second Law, which states that force is directly proportional to acceleration and inversely proportional to mass. This can be mathematically represented as F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. How does impulse affect an object's motion?

Impulse is defined as the change in momentum of an object. When an object experiences an impulse, its momentum changes, and as a result, its velocity and/or direction of motion may also change. This can be seen in situations such as a ball bouncing off a wall or a car slowing down due to braking.

3. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion, while acceleration is a measure of the change in an object's velocity over time. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how much an object's velocity is changing.

4. How can force and acceleration be used to calculate an object's mass?

By rearranging the formula for Newton's Second Law (F = ma), we can calculate an object's mass by dividing the force applied to it by its acceleration. This is based on the assumption that the acceleration of the object is constant and that there are no other external forces acting on it.

5. Can an object have a constant velocity but still experience acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a constant velocity but still experience acceleration if its direction of motion changes. This is because acceleration is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. So even if an object is moving at a constant speed, if its direction changes, it is still experiencing acceleration.