A problem with electric potential and conservation of energy

In summary, if you release the protons at a closer distance, they move faster when they reach their original separation.
MSZShadow

Homework Statement

A) How much work would it take to push two protons very slowly from a separation of 2.00*10-10 m (a typical atomic distance) to 3.00*10-15 m (a typical nuclear distance)?

B) If the protons are both released from rest at the closer distance in part A, how fast are they moving when they reach their original separation?

Homework Equations

Eq 1: Ka + Ua = Kb + Ub
Eq 2: Wa->b = Ua - Ub

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Eq 1: to solve for vb:
0 + Ua - Ub = (1/2)mvb2
sqrt( 2(Ua - Ub)/m ) = vb

Where m = 1.67*10-27 kg, the mass of a proton.

From here, I plug in values and get vb = 9.58598*106 m/s.
Naturally, this is wrong.

I think the error is in that I worked the problem as though one of the protons is held still (which I'm sure is fine for part A, but apparently not B). If this is the case, how should I be handling this problem?

Edit: Whoops. Forgot to re-add this in when my first thread submission attempt got fried...
I've already calculated Wa->b = 7.6729*10-14 J. This, according to the homework problem, is correct.

Edit2: Epic fail. Accidentally posted in the wrong section. This should go under Introductory Physics, as it's just introducing calculus-based physics. If someone could move this thread to there, that would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you release the protons in part B, both protons have kinetic energy. Therefore the change in potential energy is equally divided between the two protons. This is true because the masses of the two particles are the same. If they weren't, i.e. if you had a proton and a deuteron or alpha particle, you would have to conserve both energy and momentum to determine how the potential energy change is shared between the particles.

Thanks. I had the feeling it was something like that, but I'm always so insecure with physics, so I doubt my thoughts on it too frequently...

I've successfully solved the problem now. :)

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. It is also known as voltage.

2. How is electric potential related to conservation of energy?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In the case of electric potential, it is a form of potential energy that can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, as it moves through an electric field.

3. What are some common problems with electric potential and conservation of energy?

Some common problems include calculating the electric potential at a given point in an electric field, determining the work done on a charge as it moves through an electric field, and finding the potential difference between two points in an electric circuit.

4. How can electric potential and conservation of energy be applied in real-life situations?

Electric potential and conservation of energy are important concepts in understanding and designing electrical systems, such as power grids, electronic devices, and electric vehicles. They are also used in the study of electromagnetism and in the development of new technologies, such as renewable energy sources.

5. What are some helpful equations for solving problems involving electric potential and conservation of energy?

Some common equations include V = kQ/r, which calculates the electric potential at a distance r from a point charge Q, W = qΔV, which calculates the work done by a charge q as it moves through a potential difference ΔV, and ΔV = IR, which calculates the potential difference in an electric circuit with a current I and resistance R.