Is Language Barrier a Reason for Our Limited Understanding of Black Holes?

In summary: When I was a child, I was taught by engineers and scientists who had read physics papers in German and certain math and electronics papers in French. English translations for Americans contained many assumptions, misunderstandings and errors. My dad's old science textbooks written in English often contained untranslated sections in European languages that the student was assumed to understand. To this day I am still learning what some old textbooks actually meant.In summary, French speaking scientists objected to the term 'black hole' because it is undignified.
A. Neumaier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Summary:: The most basic issue queried

Why do we know so little about black holes?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Because whenever new light is shed on them, it immediately disappears behind the horizon!

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Wrichik Basu, dextercioby and 10 others
Many physicists are satisfied with a Kerrsory understanding.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71, martinbn, DaveC426913 and 3 others
I've fixed the thread level prefix

Likes vanhees71 and Frabjous
Doesn't this belong in the "lame jokes" thread?

PeroK said:
It actually started off as a serious question by @DaveC426913 but his post #1 somehow disappeared

• Skeptical
Likes DaveC426913
phinds said:
It actually started off as a serious question by @DaveC426913 but his post #1 somehow disappeared
So Dave is, is, spaghettified now? :oops:

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, Klystron, vanhees71 and 2 others
berkeman said:
So Dave is, is, spaghettified now? :oops:
Or maybe firewalled...

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and berkeman
phinds said:
I do not recall this. Are you suggesting I started this thread? No. I would have been more descriptive with my subject line.

Likes russ_watters
DaveC426913 said:
I do not recall this. Are you suggesting I started this thread? No. I would have been more descriptive with my subject line.
Unless there was information loss.

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, Klystron, ergospherical and 3 others
DaveC426913 said:
Huh. Maybe I'm having a senior moment but I could have sworn the original post was yours. Guess my memory isn't what it used to be *

* to be fair, my memory never was what it used to be

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and DaveC426913
DaveC426913 said:
I would have been more descriptive with my subject line.
Whereas this subject line has no hair. :-p

• Haha
Likes Hamiltonian, ergospherical, martinbn and 1 other person
...but quantum hair!

Likes Hamiltonian, ergospherical and DaveC426913
jedi: That would be entangled quantum hair.

dark jedi: A frayed knot.

Likes vanhees71
Glaswegian joke:

Is that a black hole or a meringue?

You're right enough, it's a black hole!

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and Ibix
PeroK said:
No. It belongs in the "April 1 jokes" thread - wherever that thread is...

Rumor has it French speaking scientists objected to the term as undignified.

A. Neumaier said:
No. It belongs in the "April 1 jokes" thread - wherever that thread is...
Heh, heh, I started one several years ago, here.

But the joke character would be lost if they were all put in an obviously-Apr1 thread.

Klystron said:
Rumor has it French speaking scientists objected to the term as undignified.
Huh? Is that because they have a stronger cultural emphasis on bleaching?

ergospherical said:
Many physicists are satisfied with a Kerrsory understanding.
Sadly, most physicists don’t Kerr.

• Haha
Likes ergospherical, jedishrfu and berkeman
strangerep said:
Huh? Is that because they have a stronger cultural emphasis on bleaching?
My knowledge of French colloquialism being non-existent, the translation evoked a different body part.

Klystron said:
My knowledge of French colloquialism being non-existent, the translation evoked a different body part.
Even rereading the thread several times, I still don't know what term exactly it is the French find undignified... Unless it's 'black hole'.

DaveC426913 said:
Even rereading the thread several times, I still don't know what term exactly it is the French find undignified... Unless it's 'black hole'.
When I was a child, I was taught by engineers and scientists who had read physics papers in German and certain math and electronics papers in French. English translations for Americans contained many assumptions, misunderstandings and errors. My dad's old science textbooks written in English often contained untranslated sections in European languages that the student was assumed to understand. To this day I am still learning what some old textbooks actually meant.

In this context many jokes arose due to colloquial expressions. For instance, I think a lot of nonsense surrounding Albert Einstein 'quotations' arose from poor translations and outright jokes from colleagues. The OP retains a certain dignified Old World style in his textbooks IMO that I enjoy reading.

Hence, my use of the term 'undignified' when alluding to the 'black hole' naming kerfuffle. All in fun.

Likes DaveC426913

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own gravity.

2. How big can a black hole be?

Black holes can range in size from a few miles to billions of times the mass of our sun. The size of a black hole is determined by its mass, with larger black holes having stronger gravitational pulls.

3. Do black holes last forever?

Yes, black holes are thought to be eternal. They do not disappear or dissipate over time, unlike other celestial bodies. However, they can grow larger by absorbing matter and merging with other black holes.

4. Can anything survive inside a black hole?

No, anything that enters a black hole, including matter and light, is pulled into its singularity and crushed into an infinitely small point. The intense gravitational forces also cause extreme tidal forces that would tear anything apart.

5. Can black holes be seen?

Black holes themselves cannot be seen, as they do not emit any light. However, the effects of a black hole, such as its strong gravitational pull on surrounding matter, can be observed by scientists using telescopes and other instruments.