A question about centrifugal force

• Thread starter Grytviken
  • Start date
Say the force is 1g for an object rotating around an axis. If the object is a platform that is facing the center how would forces act on an item placed at different areas on the platform?

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Say the force is 1g for an object rotating around an axis. If the object is a platform that is facing the center how would forces act on an item placed at different areas on the platform?

Thanks.

This question is rather ... er .. vague.

First of all, "1 g" is mass, not "force" or weight.

Secondly, to know how much force is acting on an object "rotating" around an axis, one needs to know the rate of rotation as well. A mass of 1 g rotating around an axis requires different amount of force for different rotation speed, even if it was placed at the same distance away from the axis of rotation.

Added to the complication, you are placing this on a platform, meaning frictional force between the object and the platform how comes into play. So now, the coefficient of static friction is also needed IF the maximum speed of rotation is also something that needs to be discovered.

Zz.

First of all, "1 g" is mass, not "force" or weight.

Zz.

I think he might be referring to gravitational force, as in g-force. 1G is the amount of force we feel on earth (approximate), etc.

K^2
Science Advisor
G is a unit of acceleration, not force.

G is a unit of acceleration, not force.

Heh my mistake. I always seem to forget that force is the product of acceleration AND mass.

rcgldr
Homework Helper
g is a rate of acceleration, G is a gravitational constant.

The rate of acceleration corresponds to speed2 / r. If the platform is flat, but orbiting around some central point, then speed and radius will be greater at the leading and trailing edges of the platform as opposed to the center.

DaveC426913
Gold Member

The rate of acceleration corresponds to speed2 / r. If the platform is flat, but orbiting around some central point, then speed and radius will be greater at the leading and trailing edges of the platform as opposed to the center.
And angle.

Standing at the edge of the platform, the platform will be perceived as tilted from horizontal. (Your head and body will line up with the axis, so under your feet the platform will feel sloped, like you're going to slip off the edge.)

Thx especially to those who understood my question! I won't call it a force anymore alright :)

K^2
Science Advisor
I'm talking about units. g = 1G.