1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about constant velocity/constant acceleration graphs?

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1
    Hey! For a lab, I have to make a few graphs, I just need some clarification.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

For a D-T graph, where velocity is constant, the line will be straight. (Diagonal.)
    For a V-T graph, where velocity is constant, the line will be straight. (Horizontal)
    ^ Confused about this though, at point 0 what will the y value be? :eek: (For example, if the velocity is 3m/s)
    For a A-T graph, where velocity is constant, there will be NO line. (No acceleration)

For a D-T graph, where acceleration is constant, the line will be curved.
    For a V-T graph, where acceleration is constant, the line will be straight. (Diagonal)
    For a A-T graph, where acceleration is constant, the line will be straight. (Horizontal)??
    ^ For this one I am also confused.

I just need to know if I'm on the right track! :blushing:
    Ones in bold are the one I'm not sure are correct.

Thank you very much for reading! I appreciate any help that is offered. =)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2010 #2
    The horizontal line will be above the horizontal axis at a distance equal to 3m/s on the scale.
    The line will be horizontal and along the axis where a=0.
    The horizontal line will be above the x axis for positive acceleration and below it for negative acceleration.
    You are on the right track.

This might help
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/learning/bitesize/higher/physics/mech_matt/analyse_motion_rev1.shtml

4. Mar 30, 2010 #3
    thank you for all your help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?