Solving Distance Traveled Using Formulas vs. Graphs

In summary, the conversation discusses the discrepancy in calculating the distance traveled by a body in the 5th second using two different formulas - one for an accelerating body and one for the surface of a triangle. The conversation also addresses the origin of the formula for distance traveled being equal to vt/2 and the difference between distance and displacement, as well as the distinction between speed and velocity.
Callmelucky
Homework Statement
calculate the distance traveled by a body given the graph
Relevant Equations
##d=V_0\times t + \frac{1}{2}\times at^{2}##, ##d=\frac{vt}{2}##
So basically I wonder why the distance traveled by a body in the 5th second gives different results when calculated by the formula for accelerating body(##d=V_0\times t + \frac{1}{2}\times at^{2}##) and when calculated using a graph(formula for the surface of the triangle).

Here is the graph of the problem(pic below).
When I calculate distance traveled using ##d=\frac{vt}{2}## I get ##d=\frac{\Delta v\Delta t}{2}=\frac{4\times 1}{2}=2m##, and when I do the same using ##d=V_0\times t + \frac{1}{2}\times at^{2}## I get ##d=V_0\times t+\frac{1}{2}\times at^{2} = 2 + (-2)=0## because ##a=\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}= -4##.

If someone can please tell me where I am wrong, thank you.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-03-17 at 19.04.43.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-17 at 19.04.43.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 43
Physics news on Phys.org
Where does the d=vt/2 expression come from ?

BvU said:
Where does the d=vt/2 expression come from ?
my textbook, it's just marked as s instead of d

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-03-17 at 19.18.44.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-17 at 19.18.44.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 44
Callmelucky said:
my textbook, it's just marked as s instead of d
There must be a typo. The area of the shaded portion (a trapezoid) is
##d = \dfrac{(v_0+v)t}{2} ##

and this formula will give consistent results with the other.

-Dan

Likes Callmelucky
topsquark said:
There must be a typo. The area of the shaded portion (a trapezoid) is
##d = \dfrac{(v_0+v)t}{2} ##

and this formula will give consistent results with the other.

-Dan
Does that then mean that the body didn't cross any distance for that one second?
One more question, I have calculated that the average speed in the first 6 seconds is 3/2 m/s but the solution in the textbook is 10/6 m/s. I used the same formula for distance traveled by accelerating the body for the first 2 seconds which is ##d=V_0\times t + \frac{1}{2}\times at^{2} = 1\times 2+\frac{1}{2}\times 0.5\times 4= 3m##, after that, distance traveled from 2nd to 5th second is 6m(v*t=2*3=6m) and distance from 5th to 6th second is 0m. So that is 9m/6sec= 3/2 m/s but the solution in the textbook is 10/9 m/s, can you please explain how?
Thank you

Callmelucky said:
One more question, I have calculated that the average speed in the first 6 seconds is 3/2 m/s but the solution in the textbook is 10/6 m/s. I used the same formula for distance traveled by accelerating the body for the first 2 seconds which is ##d=V_0\times t + \frac{1}{2}\times at^{2} = 1\times 2+\frac{1}{2}\times 0.5\times 4= 3m##, after that, distance traveled from 2nd to 5th second is 6m(v*t=2*3=6m) and distance from 5th to 6th second is 0m. So that is 9m/6sec= 3/2 m/s but the solution in the textbook is 10/9 m/s, can you please explain how?
Thank you
The distance traveled from from the 5th to the 6th second is not zero. The displacement is zero. The distance traveled is the sum of the "go" trip (5.0-5.5 s) and the "return" trip (5.5-6.0 s.) Average speed is what the odometer records over the entire trip divided by the duration of the trip.

Likes topsquark
To add to the above, you need to discriminate distance from displacement and speed from velocity.
In a V/T graph, areas below the time axis count as positive if you want distance travelled and average speed, but negative if you want displacement and average velocity.

Likes SammyS and topsquark

What is the difference between solving distance traveled using formulas vs. graphs?

When solving distance traveled using formulas, you are using mathematical equations to calculate the distance traveled. This method involves plugging in values for variables and solving for the distance. On the other hand, solving distance traveled using graphs involves plotting points on a graph and using the slope of the line to determine the distance traveled.

Which method is more accurate for solving distance traveled?

Both methods can be accurate when used correctly. However, solving distance traveled using formulas may be more precise as it involves exact calculations. Graphs, on the other hand, may have some room for error due to the visual estimation involved.

When is it better to use formulas for solving distance traveled?

Formulas are better to use when you have precise values for variables and need an exact calculation for the distance traveled. This method is also useful when you need to solve for multiple distances at once.

Are there any advantages to using graphs for solving distance traveled?

Yes, there are some advantages to using graphs for solving distance traveled. Graphs allow for a visual representation of the data, making it easier to understand and interpret. They also allow for quick estimation of the distance traveled without needing to do complex calculations.

Can you use both methods together to solve distance traveled?

Yes, you can use both methods together to solve distance traveled. In fact, using both methods can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the distance traveled. You can use formulas to get an exact calculation and then use a graph to visualize the data and check for any errors or discrepancies.